Chronic joint pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I take gabapentin tablets and I think that they are giving me all over joint pain and I think could be mimicking fibromyalgia 

does anyone have any answers for me please 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

What other medications do you take? Why was Gabaontin prescribed?
  • Posted

I actually had a similar response.  I thought I was going crazy.  I don't know what you are taking the gaba for.  I have CRPS, so I thought all the crazy pain was from that at first, but now that I am no longer taking gabapentin I realize it was the culprit.  It's great for nerve pain, but causes sooo many other problems.  good luck

• Posted

I was on pregablin before and now thes are doing the same causing me to have pain in every joint I'm in pain all the time no letting up at all

I'm going to Drs on Monday need to come off these tablets but I hear the a nightmare to get out ya system

• Posted

I asked about other meds because I had bad thigh myscke pain and finally figured out it was Nexium. My doctor said No but I found a small group of people complaining of that too. I stopped it and within 4 days the pain was gone. That was a few years ago now. I have been on Gab for well over a year but for GI issues. Hate the stuff.  I am having myscke pain, cramping, toe numbness and burning feet (which they prescribe Gab to treat!). Have no idea if it is related.  Seeing a Neuro doc at Stanfird now but takes forever to get appts and this started before Christmas!
    • Posted

I'm certainly thinking it's the gabapentin that's causing all pain to be all over my body in every joint I'm goi g to see my dr on Monday to ask to come off it and have something else I've also been in pregablin that also made me feel worse

• Posted

I have never heard of pregablin.  Do check with your doctor as you cannot stop the Gabapentin cold turkey.  I wish I had ne ER started this med but nothing else helped my stomach pain.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

I have been on gaba for 3 months and have had horrendous joint and muscle pain. Can hardly get out of bed and takes hours to get moving. Could be other issues - am seeing gp in a couple of weeks to discuss - and I already have some osteoarthritis and all pain is blamed on this since it is a convenient and easy excuse for the gp to use. However, this feels really different and is in joints in which I have had no problem up til now. How are you feeling now? Maureen

• Posted

I've been on Gabapentin tablets for 14 years with zero problems. Couple of months ago I had the same thing happen. Pharmacy used a different generic. I was in bed for 2 weeks (thought I had the flu). Called my pharmacist and they told me it was a different generic than they had used in the past. I couldn't bring my medicine back to swap it out. Had to get my doctor to write another prescription to go back to the generic that works well for me which is "Glenmark". Personally, I think it was a bad company. A lot of other people had also requested "Glenmark" as well. Within a few hours of taking the Glenmark generic, I was fine.

• Posted

Hi

I will check the manfacturer but I have only had the one prescription.

• Posted

I have fibromyalgia as well...my pain is much worse though since taking gabapentin. I researched and all over joint and muscle pain is one of the side effects.
    • Posted

Certainly think it can be a problem for some folk.  A case of what works for one doesn't for another.  We are all different I suppose.  Interestingly, I have been off gaba for 3 days now and already feel a bit better.

• Posted

HI

How are you now.  I am off nearly 3 weeks but back and joint pain is still there.  Now being tested for autoimmune disease and wondering if gaba has helped that along too.  What a nightmare these drugs are!

• Posted

Curious what autoimmune disease you are being tested for?  I have been on GABA for probably close to two years?  Granted, I had some symptoms prior to taking this drug, prescribed for stomach problems, but have now just been diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy, which I had never heard of.  Actually, Gabaoentin is one if the drugs they prescribe for neuropathy!
    • Posted

Being (re)tested for lupus.  I have burning mouth syndrome (which is considered to be small fiber neuropathy) and gaba prescribed to help this.  Three weeks into gaba, started with lower back and buttock pain. GP disinterested.  As time went on realised that knees, hands, elbows giving pain.  Since weaning off, I have ibs like symptoms and all the pain is still there.  Hence the blood tests. Do believe gaba is the catalyst. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.