Chronic knee issues - MRI images

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I am wondering if you can help - I've been suffering from chronic knee issues for a year and a half now.

I'm male, 32 and in good physical shape.

I'm a fanatic runner who was previously running up to 3 times a week - 10K, 15K / Half marathon distances - with no issues at all. In fact, I have never had any injuries at all up until this point despite playing a range of sports.

However, I started to have pain towards the back of my knee when I was training for my first marathon and increasing my millage to the 30k mark. I also played badminton after a long training session when I first noticed the pain but figured it would just go away.

Since first having the pain - i've rested my knee for months, used ice etc. The pain subsided - however, every time I start running again, the pain comes back after about 3.5k. It's been like this over the last year,.

I've been doing physio rehab for 6 months - to the letter - as well as pacing myself with small 2k runs as per my physios advice - however, this pain is still coming back at 3.5k in to my runs.

I had an MRI scan done a year ago that informed me I had a semimembranosus tendinopathy

However, I have just had another MRI scan done last week (images attached) where the radiology report has diagnosed bone marrow edema on the lateral tibial plateau. He suggest's this is due to prior trauma. There was no mention of a tendinopathy.

I was hoping that someone can review these images and let me know their thoughts?

Why is this bone marrow edema still showing after a year and a half?

What can I do to treat this if first line treatments dont seem to be working - e.g. I've tried so far: rest, NSAIDS, hot/cold, physiotherapy, massage, shockwave therapy, pacing, isometric exercises etc.!

If relevant - I also have Osgood-schlatter (completely unsymptomatic) and am hyper-mobile in most joints in my body (again unsymtomatic)

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.