chronic knee pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

can anyone help me as to what the best pain releif i can get with this knee of mine. I am booked in finally for knee replacement  29 september, not son enough but since getting the ok I am unable to move from this desk

i have been prescribes naproxen tramadol and paracetamol ( that in my opinion are headache tablets )  nothing works

please help

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, yes I think we can all empathise with your trauma.  Let's face it they don't agree to do the operation unless you're in some serious distress about it.

The pills you have been prescribed are pretty much the same as hose they prescribed for me after my knee replacement.  However I'd go steady on the Naproxen...As that's an inti-inflamatory, and it effectively caused a stomach ulcer for me.  You could try the ice packs like we used once the op was done...I bought some of those gel type ones (from Amazon), and they worked quite effectively.

Off at a slight tangent.  I'd contact the hospital and ask to be put on the standby register, so that if anyone cancels in the period leading up to September, they could slot you in at a moments notice.  It's worth enquiring.

• Posted

If naproxen tablets do affect your stomach ask your doctor for lansoprazole tablets as well, these helped me greatly. Whatever pain medication is offered once you have your op.....TAKE IT......as everyone on this forum will also tell you!. And, if you are able to, try and do the prescribed exercises to try and build up the surrounding muscles. If you're in pain you may not manage all of them, but any will help.
  • Posted

if your in UK discuss it with your GP who can prescribe a vast array of medication. You will pay £8.50 a month for the medication or free if your exempt (over 60 have life threatening illness)

Never get meds on the internet you dont know what your getting

• Posted

tramadol is certainly not just a headache pill. It is an artificial opiate, and is habit forming. I speak from experience!  It is also true that certain drugs work better for some people than for others, depending on that particular person's ability of produce certain substances, so if the pain control they are prescribing for you doesn't work, perhaps you could ask to try a different medication which could be better for you.  I found tramadol to be excellent. . other people have hallucinations and other horrific side effects.  We are all different, and your doctor needs to work with you to find the best pain control.  Of course, thee is a limit to how efficient pain control will be in certain circumstances. . . .
    • Posted

Thanks for info but the last comment from my doctor was "if they dont work dont take them"

The tramadol seem strong enough 1  4 times a day and I only take 2 naproxen but I feel the paracetamol are not getting rid of the rest of the pain I take it you have had the pain before the new knee so you can understand how really painful it is if i move from the sitting position

Thanks again

Hagar

• Posted

This is going to be an issue they both you and your Dr. will have to discuss. Side effects on your part and his/her willingness to vary from the norm is the other. There are so many stand along drugs but also combinations available. I would start a list of side effects ranging from headaches to nausea to muscle joint soreness. After getting started give them a short window of opporunity to work but be ready to tell the docs if they stents doing the job. I'm in the US so many of your drugs differ considerably but the last few months I have had good results with ms conton (extended relief) 2x's daily, oxoycodone 15 mg every 3 hrs , and tylenol every 4 hrs. What works for me May not work for the next guy a d even if it did his dr might not prescribe it that way. Just don't be in pain because you and the medics haven't reached an agreement
    • Posted

Some of the ones listed are classed as Controlled Drugs (CD) Oxycodone andms conton iare on this list. UK GPs very rarely prescribe them for post op

The next level is Prescription only meds (POM) Diclofenic, Naproxen, Tramadol CoDydramol are on this list

3rd level is over the counter meds such as panadol (Tyanol is USA version), Ibuprofen, Cocodamol, Codeine

Be advised by your GP

• Posted

Seems so strange to have stuff that will do the job but can't be prescribed, especially when we all know the severity and intensity of joint replacement. Also the fact the stuff is cheap. In the U S both are definitely a class A drug and you can,t get it without going to the prescribing physicans' office and signing out the script and hand carrying it to the pharmacy for filling. Never more than a 30 day supply is available at a time. Most insurances require special letters from Dr's if you need any kind of exception in quantities. However; this is also required for all meds. My wife's Parkinson's med require letters of exception. For months with 31 days there is an exception letter required as they only fill a 30 day supply.
    • Posted

Drug classification are similar. The GP is free to prescribe any drug he/she thinks suitable. The difference is with the NHS we dont have any insurance companies involved. The majority of people dont pay, your wife would be exempt from all prescriptions. Children/over 60s/unemployed/benefits claimants/life requiring meds such as insulin or thyroxin get all prescription meds free Others pay £8.50 per item regardless of the retail cost

The prescriptions are always 28 day supply and come, usually, in 28 tab /capsule blister pack. Many GPs surgeries have their own pharmacy. I drop my repeat slip at the surgery and pick up the meds 2 days later.

With painkillers its often trial & error. I found I was actually allergic to Ibuprofen and highly sensitive to Naproxam and that group. I was great with CoDydramol 10/500ms

• Posted

thanks a lot i have wrote down your prescription to show my gp

as for side effects i could stand some of them if i could get rid of this chronic pain (have no side efects at the moment in fact i am having no effects at all )

Thanks for your help i find you need to talk to real people sometimes

• Posted

Hagerjane I'm sorry to tell you. But there is all so pain thats comes along with the knee replacement. of extreme pain. I take tramodol and tylenol. for pain. The Dr. Will also give you a script after the surgery. Good luck. Also I use Bio Freeze or some over the counter rub.
    • Posted

thanks but i have not hit the jackpot yet (new Knee ) I assume this is going to give me even more pain

Thanks for preparing me

• Posted

Before I had my bilateral knee replacements, nothing really worked on the pain when I walked. Following surgery I was prescribed the Oxycodin which I took in a variety of ways. On discharge I had a slow release variety that I took morning & night. They also insisted on me taking paracetamol as well to augment the heavy duty pain killers. After 6 weeks, mt GP gave me another script for the slow release (Targin) which I took once a day for a few more weeks. Following that, I simply take paracetamol when I need it. The pain post op is completely different to that prior to the surgery. So lovely to walk without pain after 2 years.
  • Posted

Well there is a new Gel they are trailing here in England and a friend has trailed it which cost her £400.  It grows more Cartiledge around the knee and wish I had known about this trail as I would have gone for it.  She was in pain for a few months and then it stopped and she is right as rain.  The NHS don't have it at present as it is in the trail period but  they I am told are considering it for the future when all trails are completed.  I wish i had this instead of a knee replacement I really do.  The medication you mention seems to be standard.

• Posted

Flexiseq - a water-based gel - can be rubbed into painful joints twice a day

It's not thought to have any side effects, unlike conventional treatments

Study found it reduces pain and improves mobility in osteoarthritis patients

It contains millions of fat particles which penetrate the joint and act as lubrication between the bones

It sounds promising but until trials are completed and its approved by NICE it wont be available on the NHS

• Posted

Sounds good but i think the 400 would cause me more pain  lol
    • Posted

From Rosemont pharmacy its £14.59 for 50g Boots £18.45 Lloyds, Amazon, Asda are between the 2 I dont know where the £400 came from.

I did some research into it and was impressed so Ive ordered some

• Posted

I tried flexiseq before my surgery but found it didn't do anything for me but some people have said it helped
    • Posted

sorry i was reding a age from Dubgirl00 and her gel cost the 400 pounds this one sounds more in my price range, although the costs seem to rise if you keep trying these remedies

Thaks for your help and its on my list

Hagar

• Posted

Hi Hagarjane  I havent' tried this new Gel on the Market.  A friend did a trial on it but it still cost £400 which is very cheap according to how it works.  The main thing is it worked and will save the NHS a lot of money in future doing knee replacement.  This is by far a superior Gel to the one you get when you go to the Doctor as that one only last 3 months plus.  However this one grows new Cartiledge and stops the need for a replacement but it won't be available for another two years or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.