Chronic Knee Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all!

Approximately a year and a half ago, I sustained a knee injury whereby I fell directly upon my bent knee and bruised it quite badly. It hurt really badly at the time, but I thought that I could tough it out, so I didn't see anybody. Fast forward 6 months, and it still hurt pretty badly, so I consulted my doctor, and he took an MRI. The MRI revealed that my bursa had been fragmented. After having diagnosed me, he sent me on my merry way, telling me to take painkillers if it bothered me furthermore. As I live a relatively active lifestyle, it troubled me that whenever I would run, I would experience a considerable amount of pain on the top of my kneecap that would sometimes also hurt the lateral parts of the knee. I recently began seeing another doctor, and he confirmed the first doctor's suspicions and decided to give me a cortisone injection. The pain was alleviated at first, but it is still prevalent in the top of my kneecap and sometimes on the sides.

I'm really tired of living with this pain. Does anybody know what the actual origin of it could be and ways to get rid of it? Thanks in advance. 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I think you are supposed to rest your knee until completely healed. It can take months, plus physio. By trying to carry on with your original lifestyle will only keep aggravating the original injury, you'll be forever going round in circles, with a knee that will get progressively weaker.
  • Posted

    i have to say i feel the same as sue, rest it, im not a doctor, he/she can only be the real decision maker, of course you first, hang in there, go through all the options and do lots of research
  • Posted

    Hi Daniel,

    I feel your pain, it sounds like you have a chronic injury and this has not been helped by painkillers and only temporary releif with steroid injections. Do you rememeber the exact condition you were diagnosed with? I am a doctor with access to specialist sports and exercise doctors, orthopaeadic surgeons, physiotherpaists and rehab professionals. If you would like, I can get you a free initial video consultation with the appropriate professional. Please let me know! 

  • Posted

    Sounds to me as if your doctor did not further your treatment to a specialist---the bursa plays a very important role in each joint where located.  Insist on seeing a specialist!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.