Chronic leg pains since childhood, worse with cold weather.

Posted , 44 users are following.

I've gone to several doctors, found countless forums, and have tried various treatments, but I haven't found a single definite answer or diagnosis for my leg pains. I'm sure anyone who has them can relate to these characteristics, randomly occurring, no fixed amount of time, worsens with cold weather, relieved with heat or massaging, occurres in alternating legs and areas of the legs but especially in the thighs, not related to physical activity, makes walking painful, seems to be worse later in the day, and can come daily or have weeks in between.

The actual pain is best described as growing pains, but I haven't grown a signle centimeter in years. As a child I'd yell and cry from the pain, even now it is hard not to. The doctors look at me like I'm crazy since they haven't found anything wrong with my bones, and therapists don't know what to help me with since the pain isn't related to my posture or an injury. Special shoe soles haven't helped and I've had some doctors tell me I have flat feet while others say I'm fine. I've gotten some medication but it hasn't worked.

The forums all have tons or people like me, without answers, and so I please ask if anyone has any solution to the pains post it here.

I can't apply heat when I'm out of the house, and so the pain has interfered with my social life. I'm still in school, but if these pains continue I'm afraid they will interfere with my professional life. I don't want to sound mean, I know I'm not alone and that others of you have the same problem, but I post this for answers only. I've read of some who have gone as far as having surgeries, taken strong narcotics, and still ending up with the pains. Can anyone help?

5 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi! My brother suffers from exactly the same problem, and he was also told that his pains are due to growth when he was a child. His pains have never gone away completely, and it increases during the cold weather and when it is full moon. He even monitors the weather on apps like climacell and does not go out when the temperature drops a couple of degrees or becomes humid. A doctor once hinted his parents that his pains might be psychosomatic. But those of us who have witnessed his pain know how severe it is. The only thing that gives him some relief is to bind the legs tightly with crepe bandage for an hour or so.

• Posted

Leg Pain

Hi Y'all

Having read all the posts in this thread, I know I am not alone. I am a male of 52 and I have this leg pain ever since I can remember. I use to cry myself to sleep on many occasions when younger and because I had a bad upbringing, I use to suffer in silence.

I think I’ve been to see the GP just 3 times over my lifetime with this complaint and every time nothing was done, so I have suffered.

The older I have become, the more I have noticed how and when the pain starts. Yes it does get worse when it’s colder, but I suffer all year long with it and I’ve found whenever there is a low pressure with rain, that’s the trigger for it. I live in the U.K. so it rains quite often even in summer, so I made this link about 5 years ago now. I can tell when I’m going to get it these days and because we are entering winter which brings a lot of wet weather, I am struggling more and more. So much more, I decided to track others down with this same complaint.

It’s absolutely nothing to do with growing pains in my opinion and it’s nothing what’s listed in medical books either. I do not know if by being affected when there is low pressure in the air that this might give a new idea to what it is. All I know is, it’s painful and only me in my family have it. I normally take Paracetamol for it but it often needs topping up every 6 hrs and even now after taking three dosages already today, I can still feel it.

It’s not like it’s something I have done during a day to trigger it. But at 41 I had a back op that went wrong which left me in Chronic Back Pain and I had to retire at 41 to. So I spend 23.5 hrs a day in bed and before the op I have always worked hard. So I know it’s nothing to do with movement or strain. It it does seem coincidence that every time it’s wet outside my legs start. Maybe the cold weather makes it worse to, I don’t know, but yes, recently it’s over the last 2 months or so, it’s been particularly bad and why I have decided to look for any help. I have had more blood taken from me for tests than a mosquito at a Dracula party. So I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t been told if I was low on something like a vitamin or condition, but no. All come back normal. Because I take heavy duty controlled drugs for my back pain, I get tested regularly to and still nothing.

It doesn’t hold up much hope if those you have this still don’t know what it is nor the professionals. An answer would be great though.

Stay Safe Peeps

Plaza

• Posted

Hello, you have described what I have perfectly. I am up right now and can't sleep due to my leg pain so I thought I would try to get down to the bottom of this. It started when I was around 6 and I was told I had growing pains. I remember crying every night and I would have my Mom stretch my legs in order to dull the pain. I have went to the doctors for it and was sent to a chiropractor and a physical therapist. The physical therapist told me it is because I have tight hamstrings but I stayed in physical therapy and nothing was working. It usually worsens when I start getting more physically active however does not feel like it is sore from working out. It is an uncomfortable pain radiates from the lower back and into my thighs. It can range from just being on a pain level of 3 and just feel uncomfortable or it can be at a 7 where it is pulsating with pain. This usually will make my hip and knee joint be in pain as well. It happens on both legs and it usually happens at night. Will start acting up when I go to sit or lay down but it could take 5 minutes for it to start hurting or 5 hours. I have tried OTC pain medication and it does help a bit but it is never known if the pain medication helps because the pain can be 15 minutes to two hours long. I never know when my legs are going to flare up again. Would love some insight on this. Thank you!

• Posted

I also have had leg pain since before i can remember but i also get it in my arms also and it literally feels like a bulldozer is running over my leg or arm wherever the pain may be! I was told it was growing pains and they even had me take liquid calcium when i was younger but I'm not sure if it helped or not. The only thing that helped me was to take Ibuprofen and that would take them away but if I didn't take anything the pain could move from my leg and go to an arm and vice versa. The only problem i had when i was a kid and would wake up in the night with pain and my mom would give me Ibuprofen is that it would make me sleep deeper and i would wet the bed. My mom never caught on that it was the Ibuprofen but my older brother realized it and told me when i was an adult that that was the only time I would wet the bed was when i would wake up from a arm ache or a leg ache as i called them and take Ibuprofen. Thank god i don't continue to wet the bed as an adult when i wake up with a leg ache or arm ache and have to take Ibuprofen but i still want to know what my arm and leg aches are from but I'm at a loss since no doctor can give me an answer!

• Posted

I have had extreme pain in my legs all my life, when I was little I used to scream and cry and my mother would run bengay on my legs and put me in hot baths but it was only a temporary fix once it wore off it was right back the closer the weather got the worse they got they start ined my toes to my ankles then to my knees and then to my hips and then my other leg would start when the weather got even closer it's very intense and extreme to the point where I don't even want to walk some days I am now 37 years old and I still have the same amount of pain it's never progressed worse its stays the same I've just got to where I can tolerate it more the doctors usually look at me as if I want drugs but drugs are only the temporary answer I'm wanting answers to find out what this could be and hopefully knock it down a little I don't know if it'll ever be completely fixed but I've never had anybody be able to give me answers to anything and I've never seen so many posts about it and never knew there was this many people out there that had the same problem. when I was little they obviously believed it was excruciating pain but as I got older people just thought it was mild pain or I just couldn't tolerate pain well but that's not the case I've had a lot of painful injuries but this is a debilitating pain specially as far as when it comes to walking and it hurts my hips and knees and toes and ankles and it's intense when it goes to rain it's a sharper pain and whenever it goes cold it's a dollar pain but when you combine the two it's extreme and I don't know what to do I don't want to not sit and not be able to do anything but if I stand then it's hurt and then I just don't know where to go from here I need a doctor to take me serious and realize what it may be here do something try anything any test. the only time my legs did not hurt at all was when I was pregnant with my son and I was on a certain prescription prenatal vitamin and I felt like a million bucks my legs had never not hurt like that but I'm not sure which one it was and I'm not sure why it helped because nothing else before that or after that as far as vitamin wise as ever helped. I would like to find somebody that may have a fix for it without having any kind of strong medication that can make it worse if you don't have the medication or anything anything I don't know what to do anymore and it's just hurts.

• Edited

I have had extreme pain in my legs all my life, when I was little I used to scream and cry and my mother would rub as well as a lot of other people they called it growing pains bengay on my legs and put me in hot baths but it was only a temporary fix once it wore off it was right back the closer the weather got the worse they got they start in my toes sread to & as soon as the rain or cold gets probably almost right over us it completely stops hurting until the next time my ankles then to my knees and then to my hips and then my other leg would start when the weather got even closer it's very intense and extreme to the point where I don't even want to walk some days. I am now 37 years old and I still have the same amount of pain it's never progressed worse its stayed and pain medications can make it worse because if you don't take them then your body is not producing that type of drug in your brain so it's a more intense and get sick and you can get addicted and I don't want nothing like that if there's any natural cures or anything people could help me with take any information anybody can give me the same I've just got to where I can tolerate it more the doctors usually look at me as if I want drugs, but drugs are only the temporary answer I'm wanting answers to find out what this could be and hopefully knock it down a little I don't know if it'll ever be completely fixed but I've never had anybody be able to give me answers to anything and I've never seen so many posts about it and never knew there was this many people out there that had the same problem. when I was little they obviously believed it was excruciating pain but as I got older people just thought it was mild pain or I just couldn't tolerate pain well, but that's not the case I've had a lot of painful injuries but this is a debilitating pain especially as far as when it comes to walking and it hurts my hips and knees and toes and ankles and it's intense when it goes to rain it's a sharper pain and whenever it goes cold it's a duller pain but when you combine the two it's extreme and I don't know what to do I don't want to sit and not be able to do anything but if I stand then it's hurt and just as mentioned or above light touch does hurt too it has to be like a harder touch and then I just don't know where to go from here I need a doctor to take me serious and realize what it may be here do something try anything any test. the only time my legs did not hurt at all was when I was pregnant with my son and I was on a certain prescription prenatal vitamin and I felt like a million bucks my legs had never not hurt like that but I'm not sure which one it was and I'm not sure why it helped because nothing else before that or after that as far as vitamin wise has ever helped. I would like to find somebody that may have a fix for it without having any kind of strong medication that can make it worse if you don't have the medication or anything anything I don't know what to do anymore and it's just hurts. I will take any advice that may be able to help me. Thank you

• Posted

I totally relate to all the posts. I am almost 60 and have been suffering with this chronic leg pain my whole life. The severe pain, in tears sometimes, emerg visits, pain so bad. I've been kinda debilitated these last few months, walking like an old lady, and having to stop whatever I'm doing until I can get some relief from the pain. Anyway it would be nice to find some answers as to why this pain happens, just taking pain killers for 60 yrs is not solving the issue. I work in healthcare so have some insight into diagnostics, none of the typical or current blood tests, imaging etc show anything. physio, chiro, massage don't give relief. Mostly Drs have just called it normal pains, from growing pains as a kid, to typical aging pains as I get older. l'm getting frustrated. Sometimes I have time periods that I don't have this pain, but it always seem to come back. When I'm suffering, my skin getting cold, and being on my feet ie walking makes it worse. Heat, massage, pain killers and rest are the only things that help, but no relief until next day, also short lived relief, as the pain comes back, as I do more things. I also at times wake up in morning with pain and stiffness. I also suffer from chronic migraines, sinus congestion with excess phlem, and some IBS issues. I don't tolerate being cold very well, as being cold is painful in general, to especially arms and legs. I don't know if any of this is related, but no answers as to why I suffer from these either. I've been tested for allergies, nothing reacted, and food sensitivity testing, almost everthing reacted??? I did try restricting those foods, but couldn't continue the diet, as found it to restricting. also neg for celiac tests?

• Posted

I realize this is an old thread but I would still like to share my experience. Like the rest of you I have suffered with this pain since childhood. I would cry at night and my parents would tell me to put long socks on. My grandmother would rub my legs until I fell asleep. As an adult (28/F} I use compression socks and take hot baths to help. The pain gets so bad at times that I will be falling asleep only to be awoken by the pain. This goes on for an hr before I am cursing and going to start a hot bath. I mostly get the pain in my legs but occasionally it goes to my arms, hands and hips. I have it year round but yes it amplifies when its cold outside.

I have witnessed this pain once before in a little boy that I nannied for. The boy would cry at night wiggling his legs around saying his legs hurt. I knew he had the same thing I had. Just like my grandmother did for me, I would rub his legs until he fell asleep. I tried to tell his parents what i believed was going on and that he needed compression socks and warm baths. They thought i was crazy and didn't believe me. I am heartbroken for him, myself and all of us who suffer with this. I wish we could get answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.