Chronic leg pains since childhood, worse with cold weather.

Posted , 44 users are following.

I've gone to several doctors, found countless forums, and have tried various treatments, but I haven't found a single definite answer or diagnosis for my leg pains. I'm sure anyone who has them can relate to these characteristics, randomly occurring, no fixed amount of time, worsens with cold weather, relieved with heat or massaging, occurres in alternating legs and areas of the legs but especially in the thighs, not related to physical activity, makes walking painful, seems to be worse later in the day, and can come daily or have weeks in between.

The actual pain is best described as growing pains, but I haven't grown a signle centimeter in years. As a child I'd yell and cry from the pain, even now it is hard not to. The doctors look at me like I'm crazy since they haven't found anything wrong with my bones, and therapists don't know what to help me with since the pain isn't related to my posture or an injury. Special shoe soles haven't helped and I've had some doctors tell me I have flat feet while others say I'm fine. I've gotten some medication but it hasn't worked.

The forums all have tons or people like me, without answers, and so I please ask if anyone has any solution to the pains post it here.

I can't apply heat when I'm out of the house, and so the pain has interfered with my social life. I'm still in school, but if these pains continue I'm afraid they will interfere with my professional life. I don't want to sound mean, I know I'm not alone and that others of you have the same problem, but I post this for answers only. I've read of some who have gone as far as having surgeries, taken strong narcotics, and still ending up with the pains. Can anyone help?

5 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi, did you ever find an answer? Ive had pains in my legs since childhood, to the point I cried in my sleep and my parents had to rub my legs. It was considered growing pains, rubbish! I was a very active child and maybe that had something to do with it. But I'm now 50 -and still having problems. It quite often seems to be due to damp or breezy weather.

Thank you

• Posted

have you ever tried Predisone. it's a steroid anti inflammatory. there's negative and positives. the positive is no pain in the short term. But Predisone does have it's own problems. I've not seen a male comment on here about this pain. wondering is it mainly girls and women

• Posted

No. I have a nagging feeling its down to circulation but there's also a possibility of MS or fibromialgia. neither of which ive been to see the doctor about as if it is, id rather not know! if you learn anything, message back x

• Posted

No. I have a nagging feeling its down to circulation but there's also a possibility of MS or fibromialgia. neither of which ive been to see the doctor about as if it is, id rather not know! if you learn anything, message back x

• Posted

has anyone had their vitamin D levels checked. i recently had a blood test and it shows i have insufficient levels. 60 nmol/L which is not terribly deficient as the ideal range is 75-250 nmol/L. studies for children with growing pains has shown to improve with vitamin D supplements. I have been taking Vitamin D for 2 weeks. I can't say I've noticed much difference pain wise, but I'm sure it will take longer for my levels to come up then in a few weeks. It is best to take vitamin d with food for absorption.

I've noticed that when i am out shopping on my feet for a few hours i will be in pain later that day. possibly due to wearing poor supportive shoes. and when I bought custom insoles and better work shoes (i work as a Personal support worker, meaning I'm on my feet most of the day) that i have less pain at the end of the day. Apparently, I have very high arches, and when not properly supported can lead to issues with the tendons in the legs. Of course it is summer time and usually my pain is better in warmer months. although if the air conditioning is too high then i can experience pain in warmer months.

• Posted

Hello

I too suffer from the same symptons.

Ive also had them from child hood and i am in my sixtys now.

My legs are a barometer for forcasting rain and the cold and damp sets the pain off. Like you Ive had no joy from doctors. Both my daughters gave suffered from leg aches since childhood too. So, is it heredity!

What interested me was the high arch of the feet as i have high arches too so I am wondering is this a factor. I once went to a Chinese herbalist years ago who told me it is a common sympton in the west because there is so much dampness here and that our bodies absorb. My legs are better in a hotter climate so this could be another factor.?

I think there is an answer out there we just need to keep digging.

• Posted

omg i thought i was the only one. im 17 ive had this pain in the legs and arms. sleepless nights, crying, paracetamol was my only way out, but the pain would come back. 13 years now but im used to the pain. its horrible and disrupts my life doctors said they couldnt help, i guess its genetic since my dad and 7 aunties have had it all in their childhood. 😭 saaaad

• Posted

hello I can remember back to approximately 4years old the pain that I would have didn't feel like it was the bones. But in between the 2 shin bones my Nanna would rub them try to build friction to heat. when pain was too bad. she would but me in a hot bath. the pain would be gone within a few minutes. But when I got out the pain would quite often return I'm 54now, still have the pain. what I've worked out myself. is when there is a lot of humidity in the air it becomes unbearable. I have found the only solution is a medication called Predisone.

it is a steroidal anti inflammatory. it can be used for many things. But has some bad side effects. Maybe keep a diary and see if Hummidity effects your pain.

• Posted

hello I can remember back to approximately 4years old the pain that I would have didn't feel like it was the bones. But in between the 2 shin bones my Nanna would rub them try to build friction to heat. when pain was too bad. she would but me in a hot bath. the pain would be gone within a few minutes. But when I got out the pain would quite often return I'm 54now, still have the pain. what I've worked out myself. is when there is a lot of humidity in the air it becomes unbearable. I have found the only solution is a medication called Predisone.

it is a steroidal anti inflammatory. it can be used for many things. But has some bad side effects. Maybe keep a diary and see if Hummidity effects your pain.

• Edited

Hi, I'm experiencing the same and I was wondering if you're able to get an answer for this? https://patient.info/forums/profiles/nasimajama-1043411 she mentioned that she's experiencing the same as her sisters and in my case all my female sibling and I are all having the same problem while my brothers are not. I tried to get medical assessment before but the nurse thinks I am just pretending as she doesn't see anything wrong. Would really appreciate if you can share new insights with this conditon. Thank you.

• Edited

Hi, my sisters as well as my mum and maternal grandmother suffer from this. As a child the pain was only in my knees and gradually got worse. I am 29 now and the pain has spread to my hips, front thighs and front ankles. i have deep throbbing pain that i sometimes get in my shoulders and elbows as well. Heat and massage help but doesn't eliminate the pain. Only painkillers do the trick. my mum and grandmother both have fibromyalgia and i saw a few comments on here who said they have it as well. so i wonder if that's what it is. i have been prescribed a very high dose of vitamin D as i generally lack it due to my darker skin but it hasn't helped at all. i'm suffering from the pain now as i'm writing this and only gotten 2 hours of sleep. it really bugs me that doctors are no help. i really hope we find the answer for this one day. i've got a 5 year old daughter now and she already complains about leg pains and i'm hoping it really is just growing pains.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I hope you're feeling better now. It seems like this is hereditary and affects only female. My sister has 2 daughters age 3 and 7 and they are experiencing the same. Mine is alleviated by pain reliever too.

• Posted

My husband is 66. He has had wicked upper leg cramps since he was an infant... born in 1953... was small at birth... 4lbs and 19inches long. Whether he was term or not... he doesnt know. Opioids are not an option as they are highly addictive. He is active, still works..retail....rides motorcycle...etc.... I think there is an underlying birth condition that went undiagnosed.Any ideas?

• Posted

i could of wrote this myself , i'm 37 now and have suffered with this since i was about 3 years old and its started to get much worse now . the shoe inserts did nothing , and blood tests dont show anything and now my son is 5 and he has been struggling last couple of years just like me, he wakes up screaming just like i used to , i really want to find out what this is for my son.

• Posted

I'm a 26 year old female with the same pain since childhood. As a kid, I remember needing paracetamol and some warmth before the pain goes away. Never been worked up for this before. I live in a hot country where we have the AC on 24/7 and the cold current from that is always painful. So for as far as I can remember I need to be wearing long tights underneath anything even under my pjs at home. As an adult the pains have been getting more frequent and a little worse and have new added qualities. My lower back burns and I get burning feet sensations causing me to kick around on most nights and disturbs my sleep (restless leg syndrome). I've been living with it and trying to minimize taking even the mildest painkillers. I've been diagnosed with anxiety depressive disorder and have been on several medications and currently I'm doing well on duloxetine (Cymbalta) for several years - which is supposed to be really good for neuropathic pains but has done nothing to alleviate my leg pains. I know someone with fibromyalgia doing very well on this medication too. Another thing to mention is that Vitamin D courses and other supplements have done nothing for the pains. My current theory as a physician is that it's related to my irritable colon. I actually feel the pain in my back increase ten fold as I (excuse me) strain in the bathroom. So as others here mentioned something about diet and digestion could be the trigger for this. Many a times in medicine one does not discover the cause or name for their diagnosis but just finds ways to maintain as much function as possible with the best possible quality of life achievable. I feel I can live with my level of pains... I'm able to do hectic 30-hour on calls on my feet in the hospital with some pain of course but it never stopped me. I sympathize with those who have posted before me with more severe forms of the pain...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.