Chronic low stomach acid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am a student and since last year I have chronic low stomach acid. It began with not eating healthy(I ate a lot of fried food and yoghurt) then I had strong pain several days and went to a doctor. He told me I might have gastritis and I took Pantroprazole, but he didn't ordered examination. After one month I felt   problems with digestion when i ate meat or fruits, so i didnt eat them. Then i had endoscopy, which showed gastritis with low stomach acid in winter 2014. After two month pause the doctor told me to take proton inhibitor again for one month, but I felt that it makes my digestion worse. Totally I have taken Pantroprazole and Nexium for 3 months and this summer after second endoscopy they told me I dont have gastritis, but I have digestion related complaints. I know that I have low stomach acid and I feel my food is slowly digested and I get headaches from it. Why my stomach aicd is not returning after stopping the medication? What else can cause this problem and what medical examinations should i do to find the cause?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kal

I don't think the HP blood test is as accurate as stool test or breath test. H.pylori bacteria tends to stay in the gut and digestive system and bowel it rarely enters the blood stream. Ask for a stool or breath test just to definitely rule it out. Also have you been tested fir hiatus hernia that causes excessive acid also...best wishes

• Posted

Ok and had 2 scans with contrast that shld have picked up a hiatus hernia rite.
    • Posted

Ok I will make a stool test for H. Pylori and Candida. What is this type of  hernia and how it is diagnosed?
    • Posted

I researeched a bit that this type of hernia is checked with an endoscopy. The last endoscopy several months ago showed nothing?
    • Posted

How is hitatal hernia correctly diagnosed ? With x ray scan? I had ultrasounds and endoscopy, but they didnt say anything about hernia.
    • Posted

Hi Kal

Hiatus Hernia is hard to diagnose. An elderly relative of mine suffered very bad pain in his stomach area the hospital gave him ultrasound and xrays but found nothing....the pain continued and got worse...hospital eventually diagnosed hiatus hernia when he had a CT scan.....they are usually found at the top end of the stomach. Once diagnosed he was treated for it and although he still has pain it is managed quite successfully with medication....have you had the H.Pylori stool or breath test yet?

• Posted

you would think when they're in there doing an upper GI with the scope they are looking at everything to think that that test would miss a hiatal hernia is ridiculous because if I'm not correct what in the stomach be sucked into the hernia and cause a void
  • Posted

Its just hard to figure out when your stomach acid is low and when it is hi cant its fluctuate
    • Posted

When my food feels like it is just sitting there and not digesting after a couple hours, I take the apple cider vinegar tablespoon and it usually fixes it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.