Chronic lower back /hip & leg pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been suffering chronic lower left back, left hip and leg pain for 18 months. I've had physio & acupuncture, with no improvement. X-ray showed general age related wear & tear and I'm awaiting results for Mri scan. I've  just been prescribed Lyrica and womder d if anyone has found this to help the pain? Or found alternative pain relief?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Carolineq8 said that if the injections don't work then that's not what's wrong. I have to say that is totally wrong. Thousands of people get these injections every day and many of them do not find any relief from them at all. I've had so many injections over the years I don't remember how many I've had but sometimes I get a little relief and sometimes I get no relief and one time I had such good relief I was able to get off my pain medicine for 9 months. But as these injections work the relief of pains temporary. Also you mentioned that you have pain from your facet joints and your SI joints. I do too. Make sure your doctor knows that you hurt from two locations. He or she may not even be willing to inject in two places at the same time. There's all these Insurance rules that don't allow certain kinds of injections to take place at the same time. Of course that's irrelevant if you live in a country that has medical care.

• Posted

Sorry if I got that wrong it's what I was told by a number of different docs, just shows you dosnt it

• Posted

Hi there I have even suffering from similar symptoms as you but on my right side. I have also tried lots of different therapists and am currently seeing a chiropractor  once a fortnight. Have had seven sessions now. Am also having a second MR I  on Monday with a possibility of steroid injections. This has been going on for two and a half years and started in my hip with random points of pain down my leg. The pain is now more localised in my buttock. I manage to cope with regular doses of paracetamol  and codeine when it gets too much. The weird thing that I have found during this time is that I have always managed to do exercise such as walking,  swimming and and dancing and am more in pain when I sit or lie down. I do exercises given to me by the physio religiously and wonder whether I will ever gave a pain free day again!
    • Posted

Sounds exactly the same symptoms, mine started about 2 years ago with pain I left buttock which then moved to lower back, and can now be felt in lower back, left buttock and running down left side of leg as far as knee. I take Naproxen when it's really bad but it doesn't help much. Waiting for my injection on NHS and hoping it's not to far away. I do yoga exercises for lower bsck pain and sciatica on you tube as well. Like you walking, running, standing is no problem.  I just can't sit and lying in bed is extremely painful and I've tried several different mattresses with same result.lemme know if you find anything that provides relief?

• Posted

Ankylosing spondylitis has similar symptoms, pain can start in lower back and SI joints, pain eases with exercises....just something to check out or maybe mention to doc, I could be way off the mark but just thought I'd mention it😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline I think you're right on the mark ! It's what I've self diagnosed myself with online, not sure how it's treated tho, or  even if there's any cure? I wonder if it's menopause related?

• Posted

Ye amber there is treatment if this is what you have but again its trial and error, firstly see your GP and ask to be referred to a rheumatologist they can do an MRI which is different to an MRI neuro does, they'll also do a load of tests to rule everything out, I was told it was a virus but also vit d3 deficient, after 3 months I did see a slight improvement especially with muscle pain and fatigue😊

• Posted

I did have some blood tests for inflammation earlier this year and they said that they were normal, but might be worth revisiting that again, if I don't get anywhere with inj. The whole process is so slow and never ending it seems, but a I know I'm not alone 😀

• Posted

AS can take years to diagnose and the damage is already done by then unfortunately, let's hope it's not that, I was convinced I had all the symptoms and it turned out to be some sort of virus but along with everything else I was suffering from I just wanted a diagnosis of some sort for peace of mind😊

• Posted

I think I spend too much time diagnosing my problem on line but at least you feel you're doing something proactive about it rather then waiting around! I would like s proper diagnosis but no one seems to know.

• Posted

Keep pushing, it is really difficult, I think having a diagnosed helps to know your not going crazy or it's in your head, thankfully  I havnt encountered many docs that think that but a lot of people have unfortunately 😢😊

• Posted

Well it's good to know there are others in same situation to chat with and share experiences & advice!

• Posted

Definitely, the people on this sight have helped me in ways they will never know, I'm so grateful ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.