Chronic Migraine

Posted , 9 users are following.

After suffering with constant, daily headaches for over a year now, I have recently been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine after a visit to a neurologist. I've been prescribed with Topirimate, however this medication does not affect my migraines whatsoever; it does not give me any relief. I am also experiencing constant neck pain, in which I am currently seeing a chiropractor for. I have in the past had accupunture, accupressure, physio and seen a previous chiropractor to try and gain relief from these constant neck pains and headaches and although some give instant relief, none for more than an hour or so. The headaches are always there, I wake up with them and go to sleep with them, they have become part of my daily routine; so much that I have forgotten what it is like to not have a headache

I am currently doing my Alevels and so trying to balance my study with this daily pain is causing me quite a bit of psychological stress and anxiety. I have given up on explaining the amount of pain I am in to those around me as I do not expect them to understand, why should they? Pain is subjective. 

All I ask for is for something that will give me relief and perhaps help me go a day without a headache. Any advice or suggestions would be musch appreciated,

Thank you, Katie

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Katie,

I've had "BAD" headache since I was 13. Maybe a 2-3 per month, but I never saw a doctor for it. Just lived with it. I'm 46 now. Last August I had a full blown migraine with aura. I had a headache nearly the whole month of September. I finally got in to see the neurologist in October. I took topirimate to begin with. It didn't help at all and I did Not like the side effects. It made me "slow in the head" to put it mildly. I've had 2 MRI's since then. It's just chronic migraines. I take Keppra xr twice daily as  a preventative. I've also got Treximet, Imitrex, and Maxalt to choose from when I need it. They all help. However, a couple of weeks ago, I was like you. I went to bed with a headache. I got up with a headache. the meds dulled it for a little while but never knocked it out. By the 13th day, my nerves were rattled. I took a round of steroids--didn't even phase it. On the 13th day I got a toradol shot. It dulled it for a couple of hours but never knocked it out. I had cried for 2 days straight.  What I did next is probably not recommended by the medical field, but it knocked my headache out and I  haven't had one since. My son dips skoal.  He kept insisting that if I took a dip, it would stop my headache. At this point I was willing to do anything. He gave me a dip in a pouch that you don't have to spit. It was very mild tasting. In 5 minutes my headache was gone. I know this sound very redneckish, but it worked. I've researched why, and the only thing I can come up with is the nicotine constricts your blood vessels,kinda like some of the migraine meds would.  I also know that anybody that reads this is going to criticize me for doing it, but it worked. When my headace starts, it is just pressure like my head is being squeezed in a vice, then gets worse from there. After that, when I feel it starting, I've took a dip and it has stopped it. I know this would not be for everyone, but it is working for me.  I hope you find some relief. I know exactly what you mean about forgetting what it's like to not have a headache. Hope you have a good day.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

What exactly is "dipping skoal?" I don't consider Anything that anyone does for migraine crazy, or redneckish or anything but desperate. Desperate for relief from that relentless pounding, dizziness, nausea and all the other horrible side effects. I read on one post that a man blows his nose right at the start of a migraine and it helps it from progressing. I tried that once, but it didn't help. I'm for anything that can help without a lot of long term medication. Unfortunately, we migraine sufferers are willing to try anything to stop the pain. I'm glad the skoal worked for you, and thank God for your son suggesting it.

• Posted

Hi

Skoal is smokeless tobacco--dip, snuff. He got me Camel snuss. It is in a pouch, so it's not noticeable and you don't have to spit. I've been using the Frost flavor. Kinda taste like peppermint. It may not work for anyone else, but it's helped me. Yes, i realize that there are side effects from nicotine, but how much worse could it be from the side effects from the hand full of pills I take every day?

• Posted

Has anyone heard of the daith ear piercing for migraines? If yoy've had it done, did it help?

Just wondering.

• Posted

I did respond to your post under headaches and found you here. I have tried every medication under the sun for so called prevention and nothing seemed to work. I suggest you see a neurologist and not just a GP or Pain Management Dr. I will be trying out Botox injections next month which has been found to be pretty much a cure for headace. I am a chronic migrainer since I was around your age or younger and have taken pills everyday. I am now 62. You are still very young and if you end up down the road of medication coctails you will most likely have other problems. Please find a good neurologist who specializes in headache/migraine. Have you had CT scans / MRIs on your head? Hoping and praying the best for you. There is nothing worse then headache pain that doesn't stop or comes on every day. I have also noted through the yrs that certain foods will trigger the pain. Try journaling what you eat, perfumes etc. weather changes, seasons etc..

God Bless you hon . 

• Posted

Thank you for your support and advice, no I have not had an MRI or CT scan but am going to ask my neurologist next time I see him if it would be a possibility to get one as I am starting to worry that there may be underlying issues as I am experiencing other issues than just headaches, such as many aches and pains over my body, nausea, dizziness, fatigue and memory loss (the last probably a side effect of the medication)

Katie

• Posted

That is surprising that you haven't had MRIs done. While I can't diagnose your symptoms it could be some underlying thing. Many possibilities. I've been through so many Drs and too many just seem too quick to herd us in and out like cattle leading us on a path of needing more and more help. You might want to consider a different Neurologist and have your neck checked as well. Check reviews on your Dr and search for those who specialize in headache 
    • Posted

Hi...would love to know your results from botox...please keep us inform...
    • Posted

Honey I will be sure to let you all know how the botox works. I'll have my first treatment June 23. I am feeling very hopeful. Something ironis has occurred though. Before seeing my neuro I went to my family Dr. and since I've moved from the desert of Nevavda to Arkansas, I decided out of the clear blue sky to ask for an allergy shot not thinking it would help my head aches and to my surprise I found it was in deed helping at least 50%. I always journal my headaches on the calendar and it's been almost a month since I had the allergy shot and I'm surprised and pleased to note that I have more happy faces (YAY days) chalked up on my calendar then the frown and T-REX (Imitrex) days. I wake up and usually just take a couple of tylenol and it seems to help. Now I do still get the migraines but not as frequent. I can't say for certian it was the allergy shot cause I've been known to have been in some kind of fluke, but for now I'm gonna say that the allergy shot has helped since many different things do trigger migraine. Still looking forward to the Botox. 

God Bless all of us suffering with these things. There will come a day when all of the sufferings of this world will be gone if we follow Jesus. lol

• Posted

Toprimate didn't help me either as no other meds did. Ask about Botox injections.Oh how I feel for you. Many many yrs I have longed to live a normal life and am pretty envious of people who have said they've never had a headache let alone a migraine. I'd rather be racked up in a wheelchair with 2 broken legs then have migraine. Also taking meds can cause more head aches. People who don't get these headaches have no clue. I call them suicide headaches, not that I would or want to kill myself but sometimes the pain is so intense I just feel like a shot in the head give the best relief. DONT DO THAT!!! .. I am just stating how difficult and painful these things really are. 
    • Posted

So funny that you call migraines suicidal headaches...in all honesty...only someone who suffer can truely relate...I've suffer from migraines for over 20 years...i am now 44...never ever would i ever kill myself...but of course...the pain..i totally relate....hang in there...if this help...there's this book...call the migraine brain...written by..caroline Berstien..I've learn so much...and finally understand...what a migraine is...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.