Chronic migraine and beta blockers

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had chronic migraine for years now and am struggling to find a preventative that works for me. I have tried Topirimate, Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, Propranalol and now Metoprolol. The only one of these that seemed to have some effect was the Propranalol but the side effects of nightmares and sleep disruption were too much for me. My GP has prescribed another beta blocker called Metoprolol but already my pulse has dropped to 50 and I am getting dizzy spells so I am a bit worried about continuing with it. I am also having my second round of Botox injections soon, although the first lot didn't seem to help. I have even been to see a Gynaecologist and tried the Prostap injections which seemed to help at first but then the headaches came back recently. It was suggested I try the Mirena Coil but then I was told the side effects are headaches so it may not be the solution.

I feel as though I am running out of things to try and every time I try something that has some effect the side effects are so severe. Has anyone had these problems with beta blockers or found something that works for them? I take sumatriptan as an abortive and this works great for me but the frequency of the migraines are too much to take this all the time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. You have my sympathy. I also took Propranalol as a preventative measure but like you my blood pressure dropped and I had dizzy/fainting spells. I have suffered twice weekly migraines and nothing worked until 4 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with hypertension. I take Amlodipine and Lorsatan and tpouch wood I feel so well and no migraines!
  • Posted

I had used the Mirena for 2.5 years, my migraines decreased to 5 in that time frame. Unfortunately I had to have it removed due to cervical cancer, and since it's removal I have had migraines lasting weeks at a time. This last one has put me in the E.R twice, and I am now at day 16. My neurologist has started me on verapamil 120 mg ER which stops the headache until it wears off, then the headache is back. I would recommend looking into either Mirena or Depo Provera (the Depo-provera did not work for me).

Best of luck.

• Posted

I have Hemiplegic Migraine FHM1.   I took Nortriptyline for four years.   It turned out to be the cause of a Parkinson type syndrome which made me think I was going to develop early onset Parkinsons.   It took me a painful period to reduce from 200mg to Zero.   I tried to Topamaz.  It made me crazy.   Topamax worked well for me.   So did Verapamil.   It's hard to get off of many drugs at once.   Your body seems to revolt.   It's been about six months since I stoped Nortriptyline.   I'm starting to feel better.   No shakes.  More energy.   Easier to get out of bed.   More fun for my family etc.    Verapamil has been the best Calcium Channel Blocker for two or three decades.  Very safe according to my four doctors and pharmacist.   Neurontin and Lyrica suck.   They did nothing for me.

Good luck.   Take charge as you have been.   Not many understand this issue well.    I'm in the US.   FDA ties the hands of Doctors and limits what they can give you.    Less is better.   Don't forget to get some sleep and see a movie with your family as often as you can.   They miss you too.  My sincerist and dearist wishes for your family and for a speedy recovery for you.

• Posted

I meant Depakote 500mg ER am and 500mg ER pm.   NOT TOPAMAX.   That drug made me crazy too.
  • Posted

Hey, I don't know if you're still struggling, but I thought I'd reply. Migraines run in my family, and while we haven't actually experimented with that many prescription drugs intended specifically for that issue, we have found a few things that really do help. Chiropractic and Acupuncture have been extremely helpful, and the best part is: there are no side effects. Massage is a great supplement to that. While each of us with migraines have tried one or two migraine-specific prescriptions, we've found that medicinally speaking (at least with those of us who are female), hormonal therapy (holistic hormone capsules based on individual blood levels) has had a much more substantial effect. If it turns out your levels are normal, then at least that is ruled out. But if they aren't normal, and it helps, but not quite enough, I personally have been doing great with hormonal therapy and a low dosage of Nortriptyline. Hormonal therapy, if done holistically, has little to no side effects or bad drug interactions. So combining it with a migraine-specific medication shouldn't be a problem, and will likely be the best way to control your migraines, especially seeing how even some of the non-holistic hormonal treatments seem to be helping you. Unfortunately, almost all non-holistic hormonal treatment bring a long list of side effects with them. I hope this helps, and I hope that you are getting better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.