Chronic mononucleosis- won't go away, absolutely lost.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone, new to this forum but I don't feel I have any options, so I figured Id reach out for advice.

Ive been dealing with an array of sicknesses and they don't seem to stop. At first, I had the flu, but then developed two sinus infections, bronchitis, tonsillitis, three positive strep tests and then finally mono that has been going on for about 5 months now. 

My symptoms come and go, but include tonsils that almost touch, migraines, ear aches, severe body aches, body chills, nausea/vomiting, chronic fatigue, and uvulitis. In the past 5 months, Ive been in the ER 12 times, each time sending me out with fluids, some painkillers and anti nausea medicine with instructions to just rest. In the last few days, I've developed a mouth full of sores, on the tip of my tongue, the sides, and very large ones at the very back of my tongue where my tonsils are touching my tongue. I was able to keep and maintain an appetite through the first few months, but have lost 15 lbs and still can barely eat, drink, or swallow. 

Im a student, and have had to withdraw from school last term, and this term. Originally the plan was to take out my tonsils, but apparently its too dangerous to do it with mono. Im really struggling, and losing hope with this. I don't feel like I'm ever getting better, and it feels like people don't understand how debilitating mono is...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey. 5 months is not 'chronic' at all. I was feeling extremely bad for the first 9-10 months and then started gradually improving. I had sore throat for 10 months and was very fatigued, had night sweats, pain in the left side of ribcage, etc. Now I only have swollen lymph nodes. I'm 12 months in. It's common for people on this forum to be sick for 12 + months. Just remember that it's viral and if you don't have something like HIV then your body is currently fighting it. All you need to do is rest as much as possible, eat healthy, drink a lot of fluids and preferably stay home until you get better.

• Posted

Hi Porter,

Really so sorry to hear you've had such an awful 5 months, thinking about you and really empathising having been through mono myself a number of years ago. I just wanted to write to offer some hope, to let you know that mono DOES get better and can cause all these symptoms, even though it doesn't feel like at the time anything's ever going to chance and it going on for so long. This length of time is normal and was for me too, it took me about 9-10 months before I started to see a real turning point, but that doesn't mean to say that will be the same for you, the younger you are the better chance of quicker recovery.

So just hang in there, remember FULL recovery is on the way, don't panic if it doesn't come right away, but it will come. Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me - worth a try for sure - a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C per day (1000mg-3000mg), B complex (great for energy levels and calming nervous system), and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, oregano (good for mouth / throat I think) and echinicea.

Hang in there, Catch the bus is right, this won't be chronic this is normal course frustrating as it is at the time, but then it's equally normal to go on and make a FULL recovery after this period of time. Rest rest rest is the key and just removing stress as much as you can, try and do something each day you enjoy that doesn't take too much energy, even if it's just going for a short walk, watching fav tv show, listening to music, having a bath, reading, whatever helps distract you a bit and be kind to yourself as you've been through such a tough time.

But key thing to remember is this will pass and you WLIL get better. Trusting in God completely for your recovery. Hang in there and thinking about you, I know it's not easy, but better days ahead without doubt I believe that completely for you.

Craig

• Posted

Month 16, here. It feels like eternity. And yes, people generally don't understand because most cases of mono are milder than this. We are the lucky few. 😕

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Sarah, goodness me you must be exhausted. Please don't give up hope because I've read of a number of folks on here who it took well into their second year before full recover started to manifest, and I believe it will for you too - trusting in God. Hang in there and thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.