Chronic nasal congestion

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had unilateral nasal congestion for decades. I underwent a septoplasty and turbinate reduction about 10 years ago that helped a little initially. More recently I got chronic severe bloody crusting on my inferior turbinate in my congested left nostril and was considering yet another procedure to reduce the turbinate.

I decided to give a nasal steroid spray one more try, which I hadn't used in years. It helped somewhat but then noticed blood weeping along my septum. I then stopped the steroid and applied mupirocin alternating with lanolin ointment on the septum, which also helped a little. I finally started using HylaMist spray in both nostrils and, wow, I think it's done the trick. I still get some crusting of the left turbinate but it's not bloody and my septum looks healthy.

Believe me, I tried all sorts of nasal moisturizing sprays in the past to no avail. I'm not sure if it's the HylaMist alone or the combination of things leading up to its use, but I finally seem to have found some prolonged relief, without surgery and without a rebound effect. Anyway, just wanted to share this information.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.