Chronic nausea, can anyone help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 30 year old woman with Crohn’s disease. I experience chronic nausea which is very sporadic. It just comes and goes. I never know when it’s coming or how long it is going to last. My doctors haven’t been much help, they prescribe me anti nauseants but nothing works!! I’ve been suffering with this for 5 years now. One of my doctors thinks the cause is anxiety but I know this isn’t the case. Something is physically wrong with me but no one can figure out what it is. I am becoming very depressed as I do not want to have to feel this way forever 😔 

I just saw my gastroenterologist today and will be having a colonoscopy in 3 weeks but I’m feeling hopeless as I never get answers. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of what this could be or something that could help? I am beside myself and need relief! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, nausea is one of the symptoms  of crohn's flare up. I didn't find out I had crohn's til tests in hospital 9 years ago. 

• Posted

I know it is but my doctors tell me otherwise. Yet when I had my first bad flare in 2012 nausea was my main symptom. I just saw a new gastroenterologist today and she is doing a scope on February 15 and I’m kind of hoping to prove all of the doctors wrong. Not that I want to be in a flare but I know something is going on! 

Is there anything you take for relief? It’s so debilitating. It’s effecting every aspect of my life and is causing me to miss time from work. 

• Posted

Hi bremarie I'm sorry to hear of your awful nausea. What medication are you on? Did your meds change around 5 years ago perhaps? Some of the immunosuppressant meds they tried on me gave awful side effects including nausea though many people tolerate them 😲

• Posted

My nausea started long before I went on any immuneosuppressants so no, I don’t think it’s my medications. 

I think something physical is causing the nausea but the docs can’t figure it out and it’s left me feeling so hopeless 😥 

There has to be an answer right? 

I’ve tried every anti nauseant medication, none of them do much. I’m at my wits end with this nausea. 

• Posted

Hi. I have had Crohns for over 50 years, and the only remedy that helped me was sachets of Cholestyramine. Trade name is Questran and it is now made in a light version, because I think it is also used these days to keep a watch on peoples Cholestral.  I have to say in the beginning it was pretty awful but now quite palatable and I have it before I eat in the morning with a little orange juice. I have often thought I could try to do without these now, but unfortunately the sick feeling returns.  I am so sorry for you that you are feeling like this most of the time, but another little bit of advice is you need to find a Gastroentermologist who you trust or a Consultant that cares. One way or the other, you deserve it. Crohns is a really nasty complaint and you need the best of help going. I personally had a great guy, who has since retired, but to some extent my Crohns has softened it's hold on me. It is also good to find out where your nearest Crohns and Colitis Club is. It does help to meet people with the same problems and does not make you feel like a freak. By the way they were always asking me if I was nervy and highly strung. I had always been very laid back and tended to make light of everything. So they in many cases are trying to label something because they have not got the answers.  By the way I also gave up eating creamy things and at one stage they did suggest I tried a different sort of milk, but it made no difference at all.

Hope this helps you I know how miserable it makes you feel.

Best wishes

Sheila 51371. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Sheila ?? 

In my experience it’s very hard to find a good doctor/gastroenterologist. 

I just started seeing a new one because mine moved away. Not sure what I think of her yet but she didn’t seem overly compassionate or concerned about my nausea. She ordered a scope but I left empty handed, nothing to help ease this nasty nausea even though she has said she was going to treat it... 

this satchets you take, are they over the counter? I live in Canada so I’m not sure if we’d have them here or not? I’m so glad you found something that helps you. I wish I could😥 

I think my aunt takes something similar and gave me one but I am hesitant to take it as I don’t really know what it is and it actually says it could cause some intestinal distress at first. Did you experience this? 

I just need an answer or something to help. 

I’m so sick and tired of doctors blaming it on anxiety and stress. Like yes I am anxious and stressed because I have to deal with feeling this way on a regular basis. Who wouldn’t be?? And I’m already on anxiety meds! 

I feel like I’m going crazy most days. I fear there is something wrong with me (other than the crohns) that the doctors aren’t finding. And that the solution could be so simple but they don’t care enough to search for it. I’m feeling so so down and frustrated and just hopeless. 

• Posted

Hi, just to tell you that when I get nausea it is due the kidney failure which is due to difficulty getting properly hydrated with Crohn's. Have you had a blood test for potassium and creatinine? Just mention it because first time it happened to me GP had no idea. If that is cause a saline drip will sort it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.