Chronic nausea for months, no answers, please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I have been experiencing chronic nausea everyday for the last six months and safe to say I have had enough. Somedays I wake up feeling nauseous other days I wake up fine and feel nauseous after eating. I have had stool tests, blood tests and seen a gastroentrologist who performed an endoscopy, all results came back clear. I have diarrhea, headaches/migraines, and stomach pain occasionally I do not get this everyday. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety so the doctor is at the point of telling me its all in my head. When I feel nauseous it causes anxiety because I feel as though I am permanently going to miss out in life because I feel like i'm going to vomit all the time. A few months ago I got invisalign braces (clear plastic alingers) which several people have pointed out may be causing the pain, however I was experiencing nausea before my braces.

I take anti-nausea medication it does help take away some discomfort but not all the pain entirely. please if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I would really appreciate it as I am at my wits end and just want to feel normal again, and I am wasting so much time and money on tests and medications, plus missing out on work.

thanking you in advance.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome). I was nauseous and vomiting all the time. I felt like there was no specific trigger. All food was a trigger and life in general was a trigger for it. I would vomit so hard and for so long and be so nauseous that I would end up in the ED like 4 times a month and they couldn't even stop it. no anti nausea med worked for me. I had all the tests in the world done and they all came back normal. The only thing that would help was sitting in the bathtub with the shower on really hot so it got to the point where I didnt even want to go to the ED because they couldn't help and I couldn't shower there if I wanted to for some kind of relief. Sometimes I would get out of shower and before I finish drying off, I would go back in because the nausea and vomiting would come back. I came across other people with it and then joined a group for CVS on facebook. i told my doctor about this diagnosis and she agreed with it. It usually starts in children but adults can have it too. Anxiety was a big trigger i found out. I started on ativan for an abortive medication they call it. when i felt it coming on, usually 4am every day, i took the ativan. daily i took a couple psych meds that were also used for sleeping, migraines, anxiety, ect... I don't know what happened, but it slowly got better and I've only had 1 episode in over a year. I was on my way to a job interview when it happened, I had to pull over and find a bag I could use to throw up in while I was trying to drive back home. it eventually got better, I didnt go to ED that day. but it brought back all the pain and misery from when it would happen daily and I got so scared it was coming back again. But it hasn't happened since. Anxiety and stress plays a bigger role on your physical health more than people realize. I could've died at 1 point by heart attack because I was vomiting so much that my potassium dropped down to almost nothing. I cant diagnose you, I'm. not a doctor. you arent vomiting it seems like, but this was my experience and I hope it kinda helps you. sorry you are going through it and I hope you find peace!

• Posted

Wow thank you so much for sharing this with me. I will definately look into CVS as I have not heard much about it. I am so happy that you are feeling better and have only had one episode. I am already on an anti depressant for my anxiety so its not as bad as what it used to be. Can I ask how long it took for a diagnosis? I am shocked to think you had to go to the ED so many times and still no answers. I feel my doctor has sort of giving up because she has no clue what is going on with me. thank you so much for your kind words x

• Posted

Have you tried a food diary to see if a food you are eating is disagreeing with you? Did any of your blood tests look for vitamin deficiencies such as Vitamin D and B12? Has your doctor suggested what could be causing it? If your doctor starts telling you it's all in your head, change your doctor. No doctor should be fobbing you off with a diagnosis like that. It is only natural to feel anxious when you are getting unexplained symptoms. Have you had an abdominal ultrasound and HIDA scan to check your gallbladder? Some people with gallbladder problems can feel nauseated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.