Chronic neck/headache and sinus infection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 10 days I've had a headache that is located at the base of my skull on both sides of my neck.  If you imagine the centerline of your neck, where your spine is, and then go out about an inch, that's where the pain resides, right around what I guess to be the insertion points of the upper trapezius or sternocleidomastoid muscles to the skull.  Sometimes the pain is dull, like a 2 or 3 on the pain scale.  Sometimes, it will be worse, like a 7 or 8. Massaging these points on my neck does bring some relief, but the spots are always tender to the touch.  

I have suffered from hormonal migraines for about 10 years, and normally, when I have a migraine, this is the location where the pain begins and then wraps over the head to behind the eye.  At first, this is what I thought was going on as I was just beginning my menstrual cycle. So I took my migraine medication and went on about my life.  But the headache held on for days when usually my migraine would go away after a day.  

In addition, at about the 4th day with the headache, I developed what I thought to be just a cold:  sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, nasal congestion, etc.  After a couple of days, I developed tenderness and pain in my face, right around my sinuses. I also noticed that when I went to blow my nose or use any type of nasal spray where you sniff real hard, those places on my neck seemed to react painfully. I went to the doctor immediately and got a prescription for antibiotics and I am on my 3rd day of a 7 day course.  I mentioned my head pain, but did not explain exactly where the pain was located.  

My question is this:  Now that I'm going on day 8 of this pain at the base of the skull that is sometimes dulled by NSAIDs, should I just power through and hope that the antibiotics clear everything up, or do you believe the headaches are totally unrealated?  I'm a complete believer in cause and effect, and the fact that these headaches came along shortly before this sinus problem makes me think (and hope!) that they are related to one another!  Thanks for any information!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, Did you go to a Ent? Or a Nurologist? They have meds for head aches. C scan or MRI will help. I been there with migrains. Finally had help with a Nurologist. Venafexaline did help. Hope you can find some quiet moments with no pain. Please let me know how your outcome on your health. Jeannie

• Posted

Jennifer , Have you gone to a Nurologist? The head makes you wonder if it is sinues? Did you have a MRI or c scan? They can help you figure out if it is related. Don't know if your congested? I wish we could figure out how to fix our pain. Good luck getting well.You have a good day. Jeannie

• Posted

Hi Jeannie!  Yes, when I first developed migraines, I went to many a doctor because they did not present like usual migraines--I just woke up one day with extreme virtigo with no explanation--ENTs thought it was an inner ear infection, allergies, etc.  It wasn't until I finally ended up in a neurologist's office that she diagnosed me with migraines (the dizziness was the aura before the headache).  So I've had both CT scan as well as a MRI and she put me on Effexor and Naproxen for the headaches that did soon manifest themselves.  I eventually was able to drop the Naproxen, but I'll probably have to be on the Effexor for the rest of my life just to keep the frequency down!

Like I said, in the 10 or so years I've been dealing with migraines, I've never had one last this long which makes me think it has to be related to my sinus issues (and yes, I am conjested and have to use Flonase and sailine at night to sleep).  I was just wondering if anyone else out there had had this kind of pain at the base of the skull with a sinus infection before I become a hypochondriac and start making unnecessary doctor appointments!

Thanks for you well wishes!  Today the pain is a little better, but now each morning I'm terrified to lift my head for fear of what kind of "head" day it is going to be!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.