Chronic neck pain after using 2 arms not 1 (Ask me anything!)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Ask me anything (AMA) or tell me what you think it is? Beyond frustrated trying to deal with the chronic pain. Thanks!

Summary: 36yo male, desk job, decent posture and exercise technique

Symptoms:

• Chronic neck pain/ shoulder pain when performing any overhead or lateral arm exercise with both arms (but not just when using one arm) or any "push" (eccentric) exercise with both hands.
  • Pain even comes in when I do very light overhead movements (2lbs dumbbell overhead press, putting arms outstretched at chest height or above in opposite directions).

Description of pain:

• Pain is delayed - will appear a day later and last for 2 days and i cannot "switch" the pain off completely once it comes in. Sometimes the pain does not come in at all - cannot detect a pattern.
  • Pain feels like a deep ache. At it worst, the pain becomes sharper and deeper and i cannot move the neck beyond 30 degrees.
  • Pain ranges from 5 to 8/10 (sometimes need to medicate instantly. Pain can get to the point where even looking at the phone intensifies it.
  • Not a shooting pain

Hypothesis: Upper cross syndrome. Smudged neural mapping where the neck/ shoulder is being recruited to perform movement, instead of the bigger muscles. Thoracic outside syndrome (TOS)

Imaging: MRIs and CT scans- Small bulge left C5-6, some narrowing L4-5 left; no obvious evidence of nerve impingement. No rotator cuff injuries.

Other possibly relevant info: Extremely tight hamstrings, extremely tight muscles in general (stretching/ yoga feels like torture)

Treatments:

• Surgery administer paravertebral block, peripheral nerve block, intra-articular shoulder injections, platelet rich plasma
  • Dry needling
  • Osteopathy manipulations
  • Physical therapy
  • Stretching

Current symptoms:

Current triggers:

• Working out at the gym (doing v light exercises)
  • Using handphone while seated in toilet or first thing in the morning
  • Forced stretching (e.g. by a physiotherapist)
  • Bad pillows
  • Tight t-shirts
  • Two handed overhead movements
  • Lack of sleep

• Any two-handed exercises that “push” away from the body (eccentric exercises)
  • using exercise bands overhead or laterally with both hands at the same time

Current ways to soothe pain (nothing ever works completely)

• Avoid all shoulder, trap and overhead exercises
  • Neck support brace
  • medication: Arcoxia, Anarex, Lyrica 75mg, Clonotril 0.5mg, Venlafaxine 75mg and Celebrex 200mg

• Sleeping/ lying down
  • Stretches; (Prayer Stretch, Standing chin tuck against wall)
  • Foam rolling
+ Pain relief gel (Volatren)
  • Doing heavy bicep curls
  • Heat (hot showers, sauna)

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.