Chronic nerve damage in lumbar. Would like to hear from others.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! I've been told I have chronic nerve damage in my L3/L4 L5/S1, mild on left and moderate on right. The pain most the time on my left is bad but tolerable and at times excruciating! I was told it will probably progress in time. Two neurosurgeons have said they can't fix what's basically already dying. I can't return to work because I can't walk, sit or stand for very long without having to lay down with my knees up. Does anyone else have this problem? What should I expect for my future? Will I walk some days and be in a wheelchair or walker the next day then a walk again depending on the pain and function of my nerves? Help!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have also experienced similar pain in my L4/L5 spine.  I had this acute pain from my buttock all down my right leg.  The pain got so bad I could only walk a few steps, and eventually I had to used a wheelchair when outside my home.  I waited a year after having an MRI and CT scan and eventually had my spine operation in April this year.  This operation was to move the trapped nerves away from the spinal disc.

I'm pleased to tell you that the operation went well and after a short course of physio I am pleased to tell you that I am in no pain and out of my wheelchair!

i had been on so many painkillers and found then all useless.  Eventually the hospital put me on Oramorph which is a liquid morphine.  This was very good and helped a lot.  At first I was taking Oramorph 4 times a day but now, after my op I don't take it at all!  

The good news is that yesterday I saw the Consultant surgeon who is pleased that my scar on my spine has healed and he has discharged me from his care.

i believe the operation is called a Discetomy.  Hope I've spelt that correctly!

i cannot believe you have been told your problem cannot be fixed!  You should be referred to an Orthopaedic Consultant.  He told me the cause of this chronic pain was because of a "prolapsed disc pressing on my nerve roots".  

This really, in my opinion, is a case for orthopaedics!

Good luck and best wishes for the future.

• Posted

Thank you! I did also see a Othopedic surgeon and they are telling me my MRI's don't show need for surgery. Even though I have compression fracture L5 with disc herniations. It's very aggravating!

• Posted

Hello Katrina, I also have the same thing. Iwill not go on about my problems but go back and ask for a nerve ablation as it may help if they can find any nerves that are causing you so much pain, also ask about if a laminectomy would benefit you.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Katrina, When you are describing right, and left side pain, and with that, I'm imagining the upper butt area. I think you may be reffering to sciatica. For my sciatica, I get an RF ablation procedure in which the nerves are deadened with microwaves. It lasts about six months before it has to be done again, but it works for me. But that's just for the sciatica. For some people, they can do epidural injections in the discs. (I have a friend who said they worked great for him.) They won't do them for me because I have stenosis. If you are worried about future function of your legs, ask to have an EMG test, and nerve conduction study done.

• Posted

I also have stenosis. I had an EMG done. Two neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons have said surgery can not help me. I have severe osteoporosis also with L5 compression fracture that won't heal and disc herniation. I go to pain management and get triggered point injections every month but are becoming useless. Thank you for your response. I will ask about the RF procedure you mentioned.

• Posted

Trigger point injections are not the same thing. I also get them, but in my case, those are muscular injections in my upper back, to soften and loosen the muscles up, from constantly trying to compensate for issues with my lower back. I was reffering to steroid injections.  I to have many lower back issues, that I'm avoiding going into depth on.

• Posted

I do get cortisone injections if that's what your referring too. Thank you. smile

• Posted

Hi Katrina, im experiencing some of the same things you are, there is almost some type of pain always on my left side. Walking is a task most times, especially walking for any amount of time. I too am also off work as i work in a retail store and am on my feet all day. My doctor still isnt sure what is causing my pain and i am currently waiting to get an mri. I find the pain and sensations i get in my leg/hip/knee hard to explain. This may be a weird question, but do your joints (especailly knee for me) seem to crack/pop a lot?

• Posted

No I don't have any popping. Are you seeing a neurologist? If so have you had a EMG test done to check your nerves? Some days I hurt worse then others. Nerve pain is horrible! Good luck with your MRI!

• Posted

Im only seeing my family doctor, he sent in for me to have a ct scan but they sent back and said an mri would be better suited for me. Some days are worse than others for me as well. I went for a little walk today on the way to where we were going i was getting a bit of pain and some discomfort, but on the way back i thought i was going to fall a few times. I was having pain and some tightness and my bum cheek was numb for a while. My doctor has prescribed some kind of antidepressant to treat nerve pain, until i get the results from my mri and know what's really going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.