Chronic non bacterial prostatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having frequent urination at night after eating too much spicy food a few years ago. The dr said it was non bacterial and id just have to live with it (im late twenties). Unfortunately 3 months ago the condition got a lot worse (in response to some ayruvedic medicines), and now I have painful ejaculation, urination, and a feeling like there is a golf ball up my ass. Things that help are hot baths and naproxen, and if things are going well I don't notice symptoms. However I had sex yesterday and now in a lot of pain. Quercetin and cernilton seem good for this from reading papers, but I tried quercetin and it made me wired and I couldn't sleep. I'll guess I'll try cernilton next. Anyone have any advice? I am waiting to see my gp again but I reckon it'll just be another negative bacteria test. I'd rather not be hooked on naproxen long term. Broccoli soup every day seems to help, strange as that seems...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

It IS bacterial, 100%. Get a SEMEN culture
    • Posted

Did you have prostatitis and get rid of it?  If so, what treatment did you use?
    • Posted

I still have it. mine is really bad, a combination of bacteria. It was initially overlooked. Get a semen culture, discuss treatment options and report back here
    • Posted

How do you know it definately is bacterial? I'll make sure I get properly tested your right. Thanks.
    • Posted

My urologist thinks I might have prostatitis, so I'm on nanproxen and ciprofloxacin for a month to see if it helps.  I have a feeling I have an overactive bladder, since I only have urinary frequency (constant urge to urinate) and some drops after urination.  

The first urologist I went to thought I might have BPH but my current urologist thinks it's unlikely since my prostate is only 20grams and the onset of symptoms was sudden.

• Posted

with no testing for bacteria ciprofloxacin is empiric and may or may not work. there is no such thing as overreactive bladder for no reason. What is your age? 
    • Posted

because they are all bacterial, believe me or not. You will see if you get a semen culture
    • Posted

My urologist said it could be a bladder stone, which I read causes overactive bladder.  Then again, I'm just guessing.  I meet with him again at the end of the month.  

If the meds aren't working, then he'll look for other causes.  He seems pretty competent and answered all my questions unlike the fancy pants urologist I went to that just wanted to put me on alfuzosin and told me I should be happy because I was the healthiest person he had seen all day.

• Posted

brocoli soup? works? ive tried alot of things i get the golf ball in ass feeling it comes and goes at least once or twice a year and some less severe bout of testicular pain and pelvic pain as well as erectile problems. 
    • Posted

Go to prostatitis.org it seems broccoli has an anti inflammatory chemical that is released into the water when boiled, it's called the broccoli treatment. It's not going to hurt anyway and broccoli is cheap and nutritious! My symptoms slowly decreased over a week during it, but they could have done that for other reasons.
  • Posted

I would have my prostate checked out by a good UROLOGIST, not a gp. It sounds like you have an infection of the prostate, and the gp doesn't know what's going on.

Neal

• Posted

I would have my prostate checked out by a good UROLOGIST, not a gp. It sounds like you have an infection of the prostate, and the gp doesn't know what's going on.

Neal

• Posted

The prostate is made of fatty tissue, and it sometimes takes quite a while on meds to cure an infection there, but get it checked out by a urologist.
    • Posted

Thanks, I always thought it was an allergic reaction to chillis because that is how it started. Im waiting to see my gp again so I'll ask for a referral.
    • Posted

The chills are most often a symptom indicating that you have an infection, in this case in your prostate. Please let us know how it comes out.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.