Chronic Pain 2 years later

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all... seems my ongoing pain is being caused by my previous mesh repair surgery of inguinal hernia. It's never been 100% but these last 10-12 weeks the pain has gotten worse. Now getting the constant nagging pain that radiates down my thighs, and gives a dragging pressure feeling in my bottom. I'm phoning the surgeon who operated on me tomorrow - what do you think the options might be? I'm in UK. thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Getting a surgeon to admit your treatment by him has caused you problems would be a miracle. He would be scared of litigation and reputational  damage. You could try asking him to refer you for a second opinion?
  • Posted

Agree, try not to imply you think his surgery didn’t work, and ask for solutions and maybe a referral for second opinion. A nerve block might be useful in understanding whether the mesh is the culprit. Sorry you have to deal with the pain after 2 years.
    • Posted

Hi David... thanks for replying.. I'm not implying his surgery never worked... it probably did in the short term.. I was never expecting to be 100% pain free after this surgery... but it has definitely gone worse these last few weeks... I'm hoping he'll check it out and suggest something to fix it... the dull dragging pain in my tum & bum is driving me mad now... I'm phoning his secretary tomorrow to see how the land lies...

• Posted

Opting for a nerve block may hide a real problem that is developing.  If the mesh is cutting into other parts of the body nearby, you may not be aware!  I would seek diagnosis rather than symptom relief.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm only going back to him for help... nothing more... I'm assuming he'll want to check 'his work' to make sure everything is OK? After all we're always told to go back if we have any problems... I'm hoping he'll see me sooner rather than later... I can't cope with this horrible pain any longer...

• Posted

Yeah I should have added that a block should be used for diagnosis purposes, not for short term relief.

Hope all goes well and you get to be seen asap ;-)

• Posted

My rx would to be to go see a surgeon who specializes in removing mesh. I'm not saying you should have your mesh removed that is a last resort. But someone who does remove mesh will be able to take your symptoms and plot out a best course of action. If you go back to your original surgeon he or she will most likely say all is well. They will first look for a recurrence and if there isn't one they will say all looks well. Not sure how long you have had it in for but if under a year they will say five it time. If time doesn't work it will be off to pain management and drugs and or nerve blocks. This will be very frustrating for you. The pain you are feeling (if there isn't a recurrence ) is coming form the mesh. It can be the mesh itself (folding, migrating, fibrosis) or it can be related to the mesh i.e. Nerves getting fought up in the mesh, or from the staples or tacks or sutures they used to affix the mesh to your body.

There is a online forum herniatalk that has a lot of useful info.

A lot will depend on when you had the surgery, what type of mesh was used, was the surgery open or lapro and what your pain symptoms and pain levels are.

I've heard people on this forum speak of a Ali sheen in the U.K who is a expert and if it comes down to it can remove mesh if that's what needs to be done. It is very important to also seek out surgeons who specialize in the type of surgery you had-open Vs lapro.

Lastly get your operative report-itbeull contain the type of mesh and procedure and other details of your surgery.

I had to have my mesh removed after 6 years Bc it had folded into a ball and caused me many pain issues for years.  I am however in the US.

• Posted

Hi Jonah thanks for that very informative reply. At last I've got appointment to see my surgeon next week! Hoping he'll agree to check the mesh some time soon.. I'll have a look at that forum you recommended. Thank you 👍🏻

• Posted

Where exactly is your pain?  Tailbone?

General bottom pain?  Internal?  I’ve had similar pain 15 months later — can’t prove it’s due to the surgery. Very frustrating.  The surgeon stopped talking to me long ago — trying Physical therapy and anything else that might help. 

• Posted

Hiya Jim... thanks for response... my pain is internal where my mesh repair is located. Very similar pain to when I was first diagnosed plus bad dragging pains radiating through my bottom... and down my thighs. Got appt with my original surgeon next week.. so fingers crossed..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.