Chronic pain after eating

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi hoping for some replys my son is 22 for about 18 months every time he was going out of a weekend and drank alcohol not straight away but 2 nights later he was rolling around with stomach pain he seen a gasto who said he thought it was acute stomach and it would flare up and go back down ? But recently he was so bad with stomach pains he was taken in to hospital they took blood work and gave him a cat scan and said inflammation of the bowel was seen and gave him a diagnoses of crohnes ? And said they would give him at future date for colonoscopy and gave him 8 week supply of steroids in the mean time I have taken him to another gasto for a 2 Nd option he said that if the tablets was not working he would look at the possibly that's it's not crohnes. He's had no diarrhoea only Cronic stomach pain about 1 after food ? He's been on tablets for 3 weeks but not much inprovment I have noticed that after he's eaten biscuits or bread he's in so much pain could it be a wheat allergy ?? Also he's stomach is slightly swelled any info would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Has IBS been mentioned and gluten allergy?  Ask for a celiac test if it has not been done.
    • Posted

Hi Philippa no he's hasent had a gluten allergy test but a few nights ago he had eaten some crackers and 2 hours later he was in a lot of pain also last night he had eaten a white bread roll he was in so much pain. Makes me wonder if it's wheat ? Gluten etc he's said its after most food after he's eaten ? The worrying thing is it only used to be after he had drinking alcohol but now it's after food ? And it don't seem to be settling down after 3 weeks of steroids you would think it would settle down ? If it was crohnes ?

• Posted

Ask for a fecal calprootectin stool test and get the colonoscopy put forward. This will identify if Crohns or other forms of IBD are present.  Come off bread and other wheat products as well as alcohol. Keep a food diary and push for a celiac test.  Also ask about IBS.
    • Posted

I will ask them for that I am trying again this morning to push for the colonoscopy to be broght toward and for the next few days keep him of wheat could wheat cause inflomation of the bowel ? That's is what what showing on cat scan and could it cause so much stomach pain ? After you haven't eaten it

• Posted

If you have gluten intolerance, it will cause irritation after eating products containing gluten such as wheat.  Many foods contain gluten, not just wheat. Try avoiding gluten entirely to see if the symptoms go away. If celiac is present, it would show up on scans.
  • Posted

Have they ruled out pancreatitis?
    • Posted

Reread your post. Could be an ulcer in the upper intestines. H
    • Posted

When he was in hospital I did ask if it could be pancreatitis they said nothing for pancreatitis showed up on bloods tests so I think they ruled it out but when reading up on symptoms he's fits more with symptoms of pancreatitis then chrones

• Posted

Have him tested for Celiac! There is wheat in most beers too. It causes inflammation of the gut. He doesn't have to have diarrhea to have Celiac or Chron's. Not that I'm a doctor, but I would lean towards Celiac or gluten intolerance.

• Posted

Would it cause inflammation of the bowel ? That's what was showing on the ct scan and would it cause him so much stomach pain after he's eaten it ?

• Posted

From what I can dig up on the internet, it affects the small bowel. Yes, it would absolutely cause him pain after eating. Main symptom: Digestive problems (abdominal bloating, pain, gas, diarrhea, pale stools, and weight loss)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.