Chronic Pain and Reactive Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

My condition is PSA and associated Chronic Pain and associated Depression 

I have had a depressIon now for over thirty years. and I have just had a flare caused by stress. Any suggestions

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello borderriever,

This is a very short post so I am groping in the dark a bit here. Chronic pain is in itselof depressing as I have found out this year so you have my UTMOST concern. I tried a number of things. 1) Mindfulness. If you get this right it really can help, it certainly got me through my dark days. The difference between you and me is that my pain was always (fingers crossed) going to have an end eventually - it is a pubic rami fracture. Whereas you describe yours as chronic which obviously requires a more permanent 'cure'. Try the mindfulness if only to learn how to breath through the pain. I was the ultimate sceptic so it is worth a go. How physically able are you? If so generally speaking the endorphins from fresh air walking/jogging or whatever are great natural painkillers. Sorry but other than that I can't help. I can however absolutely understand.

• Posted

Hello

i have Psoriatic Arthritis that effects my whole body, it also effects my tendons as the shieves become clogged. It also effects hips hands neck and spine. I have had this now for thirty years. I take Citalopram and Aytrypatline, Tramadol, is supported with Celebrex and a V-TENS

• Posted

Hi BR sorry can't help but just wanted to say sorry you have so much pain

• Posted

We live far out in the countryside, for depression and pain a hobble around does help even a walk on the beach, or just sitting in the car does help.

How is your situation now, are you getting any better now ?

BOB

• Posted

Hello borderriever,

You describe a flare up caused by stress which suggests that it is the source of the stress which needs to be addressed. Is there anything different that has caused the stress or is it the sheer weight of physical suffering which has caused the stress?  The way you describe a flare up indicates that you can have periods of respite. Has your doctor ever suggested meditation or CBT? I'm just crashing about a bit here trying to find a way through this abyss of suffering. There has to be someway. You have at least made a start coming on this site I just wish I could be more helpful. 

• Posted

Over the years I have been shown Relaxation Techniques i was Taught two different techniques one in Mental Health called the Maxwell Technique and at Pain Clinic The Aleander Technique. Also I have had CBT, various types. I still use the best bits of both and they do work for pain and depression. You can, if you take the systems seriously reduce the heartrate and relax tight joints etc caused by stress

Have you tried meditation

BOB

• Posted

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your concern for me in the face of what you have on your plate. Briefly, I am a 65 year old female long distance runner who had been taking citalopram on and off for 20 years, I incurred a stress fracture of the pubic rami in January ( Change of terrain) which meant an abrupt stop to any running. My depression crashed through the floor and then some, due to pain and not being able to enjoy fresh air. I soon discovered that it was the running that was controlling my depression and not the Cit so I stopped them. 7 months down the recovery line and I am taking some tentative running steps and getting out every day. I feel pretty good. The pain is only a niggle now but I will NEVER forget how truly appaling it was. I have a completely different view of those who suffer physical pain now that I have joined their number. So, in short I am doing fine thank you and I am unbelievably impressed at your ability to haul yourself out of the depths to get out and about to try and get better. Take care

• Posted

Hello in two weeks time I will be sixty five.

When in my teens/twenties I was swimming thirty five lengths three times a week, and dancing three nights a week. I also was a Youth Leader that took Table Tennis with the members. In my thirties I developed a rare form of Arthritis, then life changed. I envey you getting sorted slow but sure.

Hope you get over the worst soon

All the best

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Hello Bob,

You seem to have developed a tremendous ability to suppress self pity, I can't help but think I would wallow in it if I had to contend with your problems. What is the outlook/prognosis and can you hope for a cure/remission or any respite? I am grateful that I am getting slowly better but it has taken a monumental effort - 4 hours in my gym EVERY DAY - to build the muscles around my broken bones so as to kind of bubble wrap them! I have been swimming (in a fashion) 3 times a week. That is how I have PHYSICALLY  rebuilt my body, if only it was so easy to do that for our psychological well being! Take care and thank you for your posts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.