Chronic Pain Clinic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone out there attend a Chronic Pain Clinic for their arthritis, and if so, are they any good?   I asked my GP to refer me - she refused saying they would do nothing more than what she does already, which is prescribe co-codamol.   I'm not convinced by her answer and if necessary will pay for a private clinic which is available.   Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I`ve had fibromyagia for many years, and scoliosis (back cuvature) when the physio didn`t work, I was referred to a pain clinic. I presumed I would be offered such things as acupunture etc, but all I did with 5 others, was talk about how pain made me feel....When asked to do another 6 week session of the same,  told them I don`t need to keep talking about it, I wanted it treated or at least eased, but that was all there was.  Maybe they are`nt all the same, check first if possible, it takes a lot of  precious energy to get to these places in pain!!  Good luck
  • Posted

You haven't said where the pain is, but mine was in my fingers and eventually I had joint replacements done, not on the NHS, and now I am pain free. is there a surgical solution to remove your pain? 
  • Posted

Hi Madeleine my GP referred me to our local pain clinic primarily for chronic back pain due to OA. I found it immensely helpful. It taught me about pacing and it was great to meet other pain sufferers because we could share do's and don'ts. They initially put me on some opiate based meds which I could not tolerate but the pain seminars were great. If this is what you think you want to do see what your local clinic offers and then  see a GP again for a referral. Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks to all those that replied to me.   I have OA in my fingers, knees and hips - a replacement is on the horizon.   However I'm anxious to postpone that as long as possible, hence my interest in a Pain Clinic.
  • Posted

Don't put off the surgery too long or your options can be severly limited or you may go past the point where surgery can be done.

I have just had my 2nd finger joint replacement. I didn't think I needed to see the consultant as I wasn't in any pain, it was just stiff. Unfortunately I had waited too long so the joint the surgeon wanted to use could not be fitted and I had a different one installed but for my life style its not the best type of joint. My finger changed rapidly in less than 6 months.

• Posted

Hi Madeline

I think you must have the same GP as me cheesygrin  My consultant said in a letter to her that he would like me referred to a pain clinic.....I get copy letters so I knew this and she didnt mention it....I mentioned it to her and got the same response.....they will do no good....they cant do anything that I cant do.I was determined to go.....didnt know if it would do any good but other things have been tried and didnt work. She was over at the door with her hand on the handle when my 10 mins was up but I didnt move so she gave me forms to fill in.

I got an appointment with them.

They tried me on different tablets but they clashed with others that I was taking.

A psychologist rang me, talked to me for 30 mins on the phone and asked if I would come in and see her.  I had been a bit down, {not clinically depressed} but finding it hard to get out in the mornings etc.  She diagnosed depression but just slight depression.....the 6 sessions I had with her helped.

The other things were injections.....which didnt work and a referral to a pain management course. This course meets once a month and its about self management. I tried it and its a great group, been going there for 2 years now and look forward to each one,

I would say.......insist on a pain clinic, if you sit there over your time she'll soon do somethingcheesygrin

OK it might not do any good but wont do any harm.

Love

Eileen UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.