Chronic pain, phn and brain activity

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I’ve had phn now for 7 years, in the last 6 months I have had chronic pain and back in spasm on my right side of my back. I’ve had trigger point injections that have not helped and I’ve just seen a neurologist. He’s refering me to a brain psychologist as he believes where I’ve been in pain for so long my brain is believing the pain (spasm in right side of back) has gone but my brain still believes it’s there? I’m so confused. Part of me understands what he means and it could well be the case but I’m overwhelmed by the thought of it. Can phn make you feel this way and trick your brain into believing this is pain when there isn’t? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have never heard of this before.... think I would get another opinion.
    • Posted

Yes I’m going to speak to my gp about it tomorrow. I’m in agony at the minute and I know it’s real pain not psychological 
    • Posted

Remember severe chronic pain that has no cure will effect you Psychologically. You should sit down and complain to  a psychologist so you dont ruin your relationship with your other doctors. This pain is not a joke. I went to most experience doctors in the nation and they told me. THEIR IS NOT CURE. Nerve blocks, lotions, wraps it just designed to mask the pain it does not cure it.

You just have to find peace with this while you deal with it and have lots of distractions.

Regards rgr1

Trust that your body will receive you of this over time.

• Posted

Hi Hailey;

I've had PHN for 5 years and chronic pain on my left flank (hip area) and have been through 2 accredited Pain Clinics (British Columbia, Canada). I've tried every drug that other  sufferers have, to no avail. Trigger point injections, as well as many other types did nothing. The last Clinic I attended called "Change Pain", in Vancouver, introduced me to the psychology of pain. There's a YouTube video that does an excellent job of introducing this approach to pain. It's from a TEDx presentation in Adelaide, Australia, entitled:  TEDx-Adelaide-Lorimer Moseley-Why Things Hurt. It's about 15 minutes in length and well worth watching.

When I am busy doing what I enjoy, or, alternatively, not busy but relaxing, listening to music, etc., I am not as aware of the pain. When I expect to feel pain doing something, it surely feels stronger.

I do not allow the pain to overwhelm me as it did in the beginning, but still have a ways to go.

I'm using Ted's Pain Cream (available from their website or Amazon) and find it helps blunt the pain, especially after a strenuous day, and helps me get to sleep.

To sum up - I think you'll find Moseley's talk very enlightening and the answer to your question.

Merv 

• Posted

I have heard this explanation by a medical source about the scenario the doctor is saying that your brain is saying you have pain but you actually don't. Never go to that doctor again.

PHN has no cure ore treatment that works for any periods longer than a few days. I have had them all.

I would not go to anymore doctors. The ones that did not see you when you had the severe strikes, hyper sensitive skin, pain, burning, stabbing electrical shocks. Then, they will never believe you or support you. 

There is no cure and I was told that by the CDC Director of Communicable Diseases and The Shingles director for the Veteran Administration.

Time is the only cure. Each of us must manage this condition the best way one can to make ourselves comfortable.

I have developed my techniques to live with this. I got the rash on my torso left side. 

God bless

• Posted

What ate the techniques to live with this. My shingles pain from ten years ago i can still feel but it has lessend over time. My second case im 18 months in and feeling like i might have it forever. Its let up ever so slightly. How long r u in and does it ease up over time. If so how long it take u??
    • Posted

Matt,

My pain has always come in cycles. Over the last five years there is more time between the cycles and more time between the nerve strikes. I never get any relief from the hyper sensitive skin. I have about three other symptoms. Frost bite burn {caused from exposure to cold air) , Strange runners side ache that virtually incapacitates me. All of them cycle through and come on as pulses.

I know that time is the best cure. I have made peace with mine and live with it. Lyrica is my medicine of choice. I refuse to take anything else screw up the rest of my body and I do not expose myself to extreme weather, especially abrupt weather changes.

This in itself will not kill me. It has endangered my life a few times because of the severity of sudden attacks while I was driving or working.

I retired, sold all my equipment and relax. I have multiple other health conditions. so it was time.

Wish you the best Matt.

RGR1

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.