Chronic Pancreatitis and continuing to drink

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hey

I have a friend who's just out of hospital with chronic pancreatitis ... I'm not sure how long he's had it for, but I think this was a bad case ( he was in hospital for over a week) ... I think he said his pancreas was at 20% efficiency.

I was talking to one of his family members last night because I was concerned that he is drinking a lot, and asking to borrow money (I presume to buy alchohol). He's drinking secretly but I know he's doing it, probably about 3 bottles of Rum / Whisky a week!.

The family member seemed alarmed to learn that he was still drinking as they were present when he was admitted to hospital he had told the doctors he had quit drinking X years ago. My initial though was that he shouldn't be drinking because of the medication he is on (there's a lot), but now i realise there are far further reaching consequences, so I'm not sure what to do.

Should I phone the hospital and tell them he lied about drinking?

He obviously knows he shouldn't be drinking so nothing I can say to him will change that ... I'm at a loss as of what to do.

Any advice on how best to proceed?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There's nothing you can do for your friend, nothing, except stop lending/giving him money. Don't contact the hospital, no point as he's an adult and his doc's would have passed on information about the repercussions of drinking to him already. They can't force him to stop,

no-one can.

An alcoholic will ignore all advice until rock bottom is reached, which doesn't always result in a miracle turn around unfortunately.

No amount of discussion, advice, help, will change the person if fear of severe pain and potentially death hasn't made an impact already.

Saying you'll be there to hand hold won't cut it either as the addict will only see that you can be manipulated, for ongoing cash perhaps. You'll be a candidate for anxiety if you pursue that path, be mindful of your own well being. I'm sorry, your friend may or may not stop but his decisions will have absolutely nothing to do with you, his family or his doctors.

• Posted

Hi, I'm presuming that your friend had blood tests ? Which in fact would shoe his level of Alchol on his blood stream .

Maybe the best thing you can do as a mate is to be their for him help make him.aware of how dangerous drinking is ,it will kill him ! I've seen many die through alcohol I use to work in drug and alcohol services,

see if you can get him to acknowledge that he has a problem , maybe attend AA

I don't drink and haven't done for 15yr ! also I have no idea of how much of a working capacity my pancreas had , as I've been told nothing .

being their for your friend could be goof for your friend , however, is it good for you ?

Yvonne x

• Posted

Thanks Folks.

I've no idea what medication he is on, but i know there are a lot of pills.

To be honest i didn't know he ever had a drinking problem, he's quite good at being discreet with it, I only know now because he's been staying with me for a while and it's difficult to hide it when it's usually me that drives him to the shops. He has his own room in my house for the time he's staying here so he generally keeps himself to himself and drinks hidden away in the room.

I've told him I won't buy him alchohol and he knows I won't give him money because i know he will buy alchohol with it, I've also been talking to his sister and told her not to give him money either.

The main reason I was contemplating talking to the hospital was maybe in case they would prescribe different medication or something if they thought / knew he was drinking. I'm not sure how long alchohol stays in the bloodstream but if he's feeling unwell, so much so that he admits himself to hospital the chances are he'll be "clean" for a day for a two before going to hospital ... I don't know.

He knows the risks, so i don't think there's anything I, or anyone, can say to him ... I've kind of left it in his sisters hands to "deal with".

His sister is my friend, so he's not like a life-long friend, I only know him / helping him out because he's her brother and he was having some problems at his own place. I'm not sure I'd have even got involved if I'd known he's having these issues. That's not to say he isn't a friend of mine, i do know him and get on quite well with him but he's almost more of a friend of a friend if you see what I mean.

I'll post any updates if I have any.

• Posted

Hate to say this but if he is not telling the truth to his Dr.s he is going to continue to have very serious problems, You can't fix him but yes you can call his Dr. all they can do is listen and hopefully Dr. adds it to this persons chart !! Good Luck !

• Posted

I was one of those that continued to drink after the "CP" diagnoses. It ended up costing me my job, house and dignity because I couldn't stay out of the hospital. I think you should just be a good friend and be there for them and always around. They will learn the costs and will need a good friend.

• Posted

I was one of those that continued to drink after the "CP" diagnoses. It ended up costing me my job, house and dignity because I couldn't stay out of the hospital. I think you should just be a good friend and be there for them and always around. They will learn the costs and will need a good friend.

• Posted

• Posted

So true it is about being their for a friend and supporting ,however keep yourself safe too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.