Chronic Pancreatitis and Type 1 Diabetes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 22 and have recently been diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis. I have never smoked and don't drink although when doctors ask and you tell them this they obviously look at you as if you have 3 heads. I'm currently taking Creon enzyme replacements, being tested for hereditary pancreatitis, vitamin d defficiency, awaiting bone density scan results, having repeat mri scans, getting a pancreatic stent and possible gall bladder removal. A bit of a medical mystery to the docs as they say im not a 'normal' case whatever that is.

I've had type 1 Diabetes for 6 years, yet i can't seem to find anywhere or anyone who's ever had diabetes first and then developed pancreatitis, everywhere i search its always supposed to happen the other way around. I've stressed this with the doctors in case i was misdiagnosed as type two but they have said they are definite i am type 1 and the pancreatitis hasn't been underlying.

Sorry for the long post but is anyone in the same boat?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm also a medical anomaly rwls and have also been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis and I've never consumed alcohol either and know what you mean about response of doctors when you tell them that. 

My GI diagnosed me with Auto Immune Chronic Pancreatitis because of my other weird disease and no-one can tell me for certain if that one triggered my CP although I did find one obscure reference which said it was a very rare complication, nothing to back it up however. 

You may have hereditary pancreatitis if so at least you'll know, many don't ever know, they're deemed to have Idiopathic Pancreatitis (of unknown origin).  Bottom line, you have Chronic Pancreatitis so learn how to manage it.

Don't worry about the sequence of events, the important thing is that you are being treated symptomatically.  Humans have been arguing about which came first, the chicken or the egg, for centuries, will we better off if it's decided absolutely?  Probably not.

The important thing given your age is that you ensure you are diligent with your diet and applying medical advice so you have a long and as healthy a life as you can.

• Posted

Hello smile i got pancreatitis when i was 21 , im not a diabetes person at present and hope to keep that off but my big number one advice is really high doses of vitamin c through tablets is proberly the best way to get high amounts and not very much sugar if any atall. I take up to 6000 mg which is six large pills and that genrally stops pain and suffering very quickly. My new discovery is papaya seeds they are very high enzyme counting and are helping my stomach feel settled after eating. Grapefruit extract or the juice is helpful although again im not sure about the diabetes with it. But vitamin C i count as my saving grace completly smile good luck please let me know how that goes if you try it xx

• Posted

I'm pleased you've found a regime that works for you Moomin1990 but we're all different and what works for one may not work for another, or could actually be harmful.  It's good to know the combination however,

I'll try a bit more Vit C and I've read papaya is pretty marvelous too.  I use lemon juice on just about everything and squeeze some juice into my water.  It helps settle the acidity for me.

Do you take Creon as well as the papaya?  I seem to have found a happy medium with it now.

I thought 6000mg of Vit C sounded a bit high and looked it up on the Mayo Clinic website.  This is what they say in part.

"For adults, the recommended dietary reference intake for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 2,000 mg a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause:

Diarrhea

Nausea

Vomiting

Heartburn

Abdominal bloating and cramps

Headache

Insomnia

Kidney stones"

So really we just have to be aware of our own bodies and try things like this carefully.  It's great that it doesn't upset you.

• Posted

Hi Reefsider/Moomin1990,

Thanks for the replies, i honestly didn't think i was going to get any!

I haven't had any results as of yet but will hopefully have some soon and as you said Reefsider however i have gotten Pancreatitis i'll always have it so i'll try and manage it instead of worrying haha. 

Even so i'll definitely try a bit of Vit C and lemon juice it can't hurt as my tummy ha beenn a bit unsettled as of late. 

• Posted

Hey RWLS!

im 25 and i am recovering from chronic pancreatitis. fortunetly for me i have not had an episode since october 2015. But my case has been very different as all of ours is. Mine was induced by a not so lovely doctor while doing an ERCP. Any who, i spent most of last year in the hospital because of him. I got a pseudocyst which was drained and then a by pass because of an obstruction due to the feeding tube sitting in my deodenum. any who i am now on creon as well.my doctor put me on it because everything i ate gave me the runs and there would be like an oily layer in the water. Any who im on a 1 month trial now to see if it would fix this problem as he says my body is not creating enough of the enzymes to digest my food properly.

So im just wondering hows it going for you? have you had any symptoms because of the pills? I get nauseas ever since ive been on it and head aches!

• Posted

Hi Rominam416,

Thanks for your reply!

Pleased to see you haven't had an episode since 2015. I did have pseudocysts on my pancreas and they thought it was a bit weird that they weren't just on the head or tail of the pancreas that it ran right through the pancreas. Had an ercp but not sure if they were drained. 

About the Creon, i don't feel nauseus but i did have horrendous migraines. However, i can't say they were because of Creon as they started before i took it, they put it down to my sugars being uncontrolled with food being malabsorbed against taking insulin making me have low blood sugar regularly. But Creon has helped loads

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 20 years old. I've been type one diabetic for 15 years and when I was 13 i got pancreatitis for the first time since then I have had it 4 more times and two of those have been this year alone I had diabetes long before pancreatitis

• Posted

Hi Sarah81051,

Thank you for your reply, I didn't think anyone else would be in the same boat. I hope you're doing well and don't get anymore episodes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.