chronic pancretitis pain??help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can anyone give me any advice...I've been in mainly left abdominal pain since Xmas. I've been backwards and forwards to a and e when the pain has been severe and in between this the pain is full. I've had about a hundred blood tests...stool sample tests..c t with contrast and an mri...The pain isn't there if I'm standing but if I sit it's awful.its not acute pain as when pressed on its just the same.if I eat the pain is there and is worse by a night time.i do not get the pain overnight at all.i sometimes gave excessive thirst and no pain killers take the pain away including tramadol and morphine. I feel totally uunlistened to in medical world but I can't function. I had my first drink in weeks last weekend and the burning and pain I had was so horrific under both ribs. I am not a big drinker but I've had my moments like most people. Going to the toilet is normal. Can anyone help as this has been going on for months

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria!

Listen, alcohol is the cause of your pain ! You seem not to fully understand this. If you want an end to your pain, give it up asap. I have the same problem. I know what it's like. I kept within the medical guidelines for alcohol consumption but nevertheless the doctors blamed my problems on alcohol. I drank some wine with my meals and sometimes a bit more, but never beyond 2 bottles of wine per week, but that was enough to cause me this awful illness. Everyone is different and alcohol effects everyone differently. A small amount of alcohol can have a large effect on the pancreas. If you are really addicted and find it hard to give it up seek help from Alcoholics Anonomous or a similar organisation but you must never drink alcohol again if you want to live normally without pain. You owe it to yourself to do this. You have but one life and to throw it away by not conquering the alcohol problem is unfortunate. There is only one way and it's hard for those addicted to drink but it is to stop  completely. Cold Turkey! There is no other way.You might not want to accept this but I don't know you and you don't know me, but believe me when I tell you, you must never drink alcohol again. Never! This is coming from someone with personal experience. Good luck and better health to you and your family.      

• Posted

Hi Pete

I don't have a diagnosis and I'm not even a big drinker.ive just got these pains that I can't get rid of

• Posted

I've had this pain without it ever going away for months. The alcohol I had last weekend just made it worse hence me thinking it's linked
    • Posted

Hi Victoria!

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I misread the headline. I thought you had pancreatitis. Has it been ruled out? your symptoms seem very similar to mine and I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in January. On leaving the hospital I was warned not to drink again. Like I said,I wasn't a heavy drinker but now believe that any further amount of alcohol might make me worse. Abdominal pain which comes and goes is my problem too and there is only one remedy for it and that is to stop eating or drinking for a while until the pancreas can recover. As you know, this is difficult to do. Unlike any other part of the anatomy, the pancreas is essential for digestion of food and it cannot stop for any lenght of time if you are to eat anything large or small. Hopefully you will be diagnosed soon and get a clearer picture of what you need to do to recover fully. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to avoid any food which contains animal fats, such as butter, cooking oil , red meat such as beef, pork and lamb. Instead, white fish and lean chicken can substitute. Gall stones and alcohol are the main causes of pancreatitis and I think ultra sound scans, mri scans are generally used in the diagnosis of pancreatitis. Sorry for jumping to conclusions ! I hope you get rid of the pain soon.        

• Posted

Hi Pete

Sorry no diagnosis. I've had all sorts of procedures ended off back at hospital on Saturday night and was told that there's no way I had cp as I've never had ap etc etc.just so sick of going on like this back to gp tomorrow

• Posted

I completely understand. Bless you. I have pain everyday even when enzyme levels are normal. Actually considering going to pain management. 😢
  • Posted

I just want to know what the pain is I'm demented
  • Posted

Stopping drinking suddenly can just cause more problems, my partner used to drink cider and vodka a lot an he stopped drinking altogether 8 years ago and has had problems ever since with his stomach and now pancreatitis.getting the doctor to believe you've stopped drinking is hardest,and then getting them to do something about it is also hard but keep pestering them for help and keep a diary of pain levels,medication taken and diet will help both you an the doctor see any connections.i would advise you to quit drinking just be careful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.