Chronic parotitis--can this ever go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

24 years old and recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. My doctor gave me barely any information about it and more or less just said "oh don't worry, it's just dry eyes." I'm realizing from all that I've been reading about it that that is NOT the case. I have Cystic Fibrosis as well though which can cause a lot of the symptoms (such as cough, dehydration, etc.). But the one thing that has REALLY bugged me is chronic parotitis. It doesn't look as severe as the images I find on google--but I have two large, swollen "balls" under my jaw, basically on either side of my trachea. A bit larger than the diameter of a quarter. I know it's not cancer or anything--I was diagnosed via ultrasound accidentally, when a radiologist was looking for signs of possible thyroid cancer (fortunately there was none). But these have come and gone for the past few years. For the past year or so, however, they've been constantly enlarged. You can't really tell if I have my chin tipped down, but as soon as I lift my chin up, you can see what looks like two swollen balls protruding from my neck. Is this a common thing? Is there any way to get rid of it? Thanks in advance for any answers!

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

  • Posted

    I dont want to scare you or anything but sjogren can be hell... it can attack organs/systems and is not nice way to die. My parotoid glands are swollen for about three years now and only getting from level 3 to level 9 of swelling never disappear. Don't trust that doctor it way beyond dry eyes.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I am so very sorry for what you are going through. Has your doctor checked for a bacterial infection? I would think yes, but I don't just assume. You may have a bacterial infection that can be treated. You could have so many different issues so I googled Salivary Gland disorders:

    I hope this helps you. My prayers and blessings are with you, donna

    Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    you need to see a Rheumotologist- (sorry not spelt right) they are the doctors who diagnose all immune conditions thats their speciality, and it certainly is NOT just dry eyes,,ive had it for over thirty years can dry up any organ, I had my ear dry up the wax crystalised so lucky me had vertigo 24/7 it lasted 14 and 1/2 just went one day when someone at church prayed for a healing...I was told by the Neurosurgeon it probably would. go just as quickly as it come, it was a horrific 14 years for us.., it took long enough to go. there is soooo much more to this, SS so please make sure your diagnosed properly as previously said on here, We all seem to have taken our health into our own hands, and ask lots of question...make sure we get referred to a Rheumo, most GPs don't really know enough to help, but Ive found their good once diagnosed...they must look it can really get some god info from reputable sites too.. You are sooo young to have to deal with thus, hope you get the information you blessed and have a lovely day...

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up