Chronic persistent cough since radiotherapy

Posted , 16 users are following.

Shortly after radiotherapy treatment in 2010 I developed a dry persistent cough along with hoarseness in the throat. Last year the cough was so severe I fractured two ribs. Chest x-rays are clear, lung function test normal, no symptoms of reflux, asthma or shortness of breath. Cough is worse when sitting or lying on my side.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were they able to find a cause and/or a remedy?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did you get a cure for your coughing. I have at moment and am very fed up with it .
  • Posted

I'm four months post radiation for laryngeal cancer. About four weeks into treatment my cough started. Doctors insisted it had nothing to do with treatment. A few weeks after treatment I was diagnosed with pneumonia and had three rounds of antibiotics. The pain in my chest finally went away but not the cough. It's a dry cough and usually ends if I can cough up a tiny amount of phlegm. It used to be only when I was lying down but the past week it's become more frequent. The doctors don't seem at all interested in it and insist it isn't a side effect. 
  • Posted

Since I last posted I have got rid of cough.the doctor put me on a steroids to stop the cougha nd it worked .my throat was raw and sore every morning.

• Posted

Hi Tabicat,

I just finished radiation for br cancer 2 weeks ago. My cough and hoarseness came on every now and again after the tatooo markings were placed. The cough persisted during radiation and I spoke with the dr about it. She said it wouldn't be from the markings or radiation bec they didn't touch the lung area. Now 2 wks later the cough and hoarseness comes and goes.   I spoke with one of the onc nurses who said I may have a cold and to get a chest xray through my primary dr.

• Posted

Keep after doctors.hope you beginning to  feel better.but keep after doctors.things can be very slow .also email you worries it seems to get a better response.Good luck 
  • Posted

You can have silent reflux ! That is be unaware of it !

• Posted

You need to check with your doctor what has gone wrong and why is your couh still persistent. Maybe he can give you a new medication that will work for you. 
  • Posted

Dear Tabicat,

Sorry to hear of your persistent cough. I just saw this site. You may already have the answer to your question at this time. However, if you have not, the following additional causes may need to be considered as possible precipitants of cough - Gastroesophageal reflux, heart related issues, or side effects of medications (ACE inhibitors for treatment of heart conditions have known side effects). I hope that your cough is relieved. Wish you well.

• Posted

Qui tabi, I have been battling that persistent cough for two months now following  my esophagus cancer surgery in March, and I have gotten no real answer from doctors. Answers range from acid reflux to allergies with no results, if someone finds an answer I'm all ears this coughing results in my vomiting and sever pains in stomach along suture line

• Posted

I had a lumpectomy in 2015 followed by chemo and radiotherapy and besides the usual sickness with chemo there was nothing untoward. December 15th 2017 got a cold and a cough and in January 2018 got a bad flu that was going around (Aussie flu) cough from December never went and as of today February 10th 2018 4 anti biotics later two courses of steroids and two inhalers I am having coughing fits all day every day and sleeping is impossible had chest xray which was clear I don't know where to turn I am exhausted with it

• Posted

I had thyroid cancer, skin, and nodule cancer in 2009.  I radiation & chemo during the summer of 2009.  A few weeks after treatment I began with this cough and have continued coughing now into 2018.

• Posted

Doctors, The Cancer Orgs, even Mayo do not list coughing as a high risk from radiation of the larynx. But I hear many people with this issue in various blogs . Two theories suggested are the brain senses scar tissue in the throat and sends done mucous and the other the swallowing mechanism lets food get into the wind pipe.

• Posted

I received the two theories on causes of coughing when I asked if coughing was a defense mechanism and if so suppression of the cough with drugs could lead to pneumonia. Answer, yes

• Posted

Some background: my wife was treated with radiation (29 shots) for cancer of the larynx. She has a terrible cough, causes vomiting and fear of eating. So she is not eating enough. She is scheduled for swallowing therapy in two weeks. She finished radiation 2 days ago. The cough started about 10 days (shots) into the radiation. Radiation caused this cough, no two ways about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.