Chronic persistent itching, no rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

I get very itchy on my torso (some itching to head and face too), but rarely on my limbs. Its been happening for 3-4 weeks now and usually starts late afternoon, getting worse in the evenings, and worse still at night, keeping me awake. There is no rash or visible difference to my skin. I have no other symptoms. I have not changed my laundry/skin care/shampoo /deodorant products and have been using natural products anyway for about 2 years. I have not changed my food/fluid intake and eat a very healthy diet. I have no known allergies or sensitivities. I am 45 and have been through the menopause (last period was 17 months ago and I dont really experience any problems). My skin is not dry. Anti-histamines dont help! Im at a loss and cant sleep now, has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Scabies can do that .

Have you tried gold bond cream , or cortizone cream ?

There are health conditions and diseases that cause a lot of itching ,but you need a lot of research to rule things out.

• Posted

Thank you Pattino, interesting thought about scabies, although I cant see any lines, I have no rash or spots and my hands didnt itch. I also dont know where I could have caught it from, I dont share towels and havent been in contact with anyone who has it. The only thing I can think of is that it started around the time that I was attending to and visiting my incontinent grandfather daily in hospital but I was scrupulous about handwashing etc... Im actually baffled but its certainly driving me crazy!

• Posted

Sometimes itching has no easy explanation , 3 years ago at the change of season summer to fall I went from open sandals to socks and shoes ,my feet went to an unbelievable itching out of control that also kept me awake ,it lasted 2 months and then it went away ,that's it , i have no idea what happened.

I was putting antifungal creams to try to get some relief and I was scratching the hard part of my feet with a coarse metal file and a metal brush for cleaning barbecue grills.

• Posted

Interesting that it happened to you with the arrival of autumn as I remember getting itchy last year in October..... it only lasted 2 weeks though and wasnt nearly as disruptive/didnt keep me awake and could be relieved with anti histamines. The other thing I didnt mention is that my itching tends to be symmetrical and it moves.... one day it may be both flanks (on the sides/lower back), next day it may be under both breasts, next day could be on both hips, then both nipples, then across the middle of my back or across my abdomen, under both arms....but rarely my arms and legs.... it is just bizarre..

• Posted

Thats quite young to have completed the menopause and I wonder if its a lessening of oestrogen that is causing your itching. Even though your skin doesnt seem dry it may help to use a skin cream like E45 every night. Itchy skin after the menopause is quite common.

• Posted

Thank you Marina, Ive tried lots of different skin creams and anti histamines but nothing relieves it! Im having a blood test next week as iron deficiency can cause itching but in the meantime its driving me mad!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.