chronic renal calcification information please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I had a radical nephrectomy (removal) of my right kidney 8 weeks ago and just had my final consultation and results of the final prognosis.

upon examining my kidney the final verdict was chronic infection, chronic inflammation and surprisingly as id never had the diagnosis before- chronic renal calcification. My kidney was essentially one big stone plagued with infection and disease but I cant find any information about the cause of calcification that would make sense. I was always told I had CKD due to infections as a baby but never diagnosed with kidney stones. Im now slightly concerned such a build up of calcium may cause or have caused issues elsewhere in my body as i understand its not a typical symptom of chronic kidney disease and often of an underlying issue?

I may be totally wrong but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this or could shed light. Its something id certainly like to avoid in my remaining kidney!!

Thanks in advance

Jess

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear me, you have my sympathies. Can't say I've ever heard of this condition .

I'm actually on extra calcium !! Sounds really awful 

Warmest regards, E.

• Posted

Its bizarre because I was tested repeatedly for stones because I would have episodes of crippling pain but they never found any stones upon scanning. Whether that was because it was one big one rather than smaller ones I dont know. Im just curious whether it is an underlying issue other than kidney disease if theres anything I can do to avoid it or if theres certain foods to avoid etc. It was apparently very unexpected to find it as wrecked and calcified as it was especially as im only 22!
    • Posted

Jess, I think this is a question you need to put to your renal consultant - he will have all your past history.  Did you have a lot of urine infections as a child - apparently that can lead to calcification.  What I can say is that for the last couple of years, I have taken a Vitamin D supplement due to deficiency which is very common in this part of the world due to lack of sunshine.  A lot of my friends have also been prescribed the supplement.  However, due to me having only one kidney (the other was removed in childhood 60 years ago), I was advised not to remain on the Vit D permanently as others do but to take just a 3-month course each winter, and to have my calcium levels checked midway through the course and at the end.  The reason for this is that taking a Vit D supplement enables more calcium from diet to be absorbed into the body and too much calcium could further harm my already reduced kidney function.  I just thought you might like to be aware of this in case you are prescribed Vit D in the future.

Do your blood tests still record CKD after the nephrectomy or has your kidney function returned to normal?  I'm so glad the op is now all behind you and all the very best for a long, happy and healthy future.

• Posted

Unfortunately im now discharged from his care as my function has returned to normal since the surgery.

If childhood infections cause calcification that could well be the cause as the childhood infections also caused the disease. I will definitely bare in mind about vit D though. I dont take any and never have but its worth remembering if i do have a problem with excess calcium!

thanks a lot for your response

jess xx

• Posted

Do you take artificial calcium tablets? Or drink less water? Taking calcium tablets may cause calculus in kidney.
    • Posted

Ive never taken vit D or calcium supplements but i must admit i dont drink as much as i should!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.