Chronic Retention of Urine - Enlarged Prostate

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. Was catheterised due to retention of urine on 23 Jul 14

because of an enlarged prostate.  I am 62 yrs of age, I am not happy to have the catheter on, but I have been told that it needs to stay in till I have my Turp operation.

I have been on the "waiting list" for almost 7 weeks, it seems strange to me that no priority is given to those on catheters.

It could be a while till I have my operation, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about getting this operation on the NHS quicker rather than later?

And any views would be appreciated on the newer treatment called "Greenlight Laser".

Kind Regards

Barry

0 likes, 271 replies

271 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barry,

I've just been in the same situation.

Theoretically you can choose any hospital in the UK for your operation. So the 'solution' is to find the one with the shortest waiting time and choose that. Alas, the solution seems to be no solution at all, because there does not seem to be any way of finding a list of waiting times, despite the news media often referring to waiting times for various ops being so-and-so.

One possible avenue is NHS Choices (google it), but I could only get it to spit out about three or four; which I then phoned directly, only to find that their waiting times were the same as my local one. I thought my GP could unearth the data, but she declined (too busy); but yours may be willing to do it for you.

I was fortunate to have enough savings to go private, tho' even there it took a lot of phoning to get the op done fairly quickly (it was August, when surgeons were going on holidays I suppose). So I paid £5,500 and had the op done within a week.

Good luck.

• Posted

Dear Ian,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

£5,500 seems a resonable amount for a Turp operation, compared to

some prices I have seen.

Was this a recent operation and where did you have it, if you don't mind me asking?

Kind Regards

Barry

• Posted

I had the HoLEP done at Nuffield Brentwood Hospital, with a Mr Revi. All good, clean, quick. I stayed two nights (the op was done about 7 pm) and was up and walking on the 2nd day.

I don't know if you've explored the UroLift option; others have good things to say about it and I would have preferred that but was told it wasn't appropriate for my situation.

• Posted

£5000 is very good as that was the going rate for GL when it started here in 2004.

The NHS surgeon who did my Thulium Laser last year calls GL/PVP  "A commercial procedure and not a cure" in that it is profitable for the equipment maker and in his opinion not as effective. They all have a bias towards the procedure they have elcted to use.

• Posted

Dear Ian.

Many thanks for the quality info, will look into it.

Regards

Barry

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I have another question for you.  In your letter you mentioned that you

were in the same situation as me.  Does that mean you were cathetrised pending a operation and if so did you have Chronic Retention like me?.

There is a reason behind this question. I was told yesterday that

when the bladder is stretched it will not go back to it's normal size,

and I may have problems even after I have a operation Turp/GL.

Kind Regards

Barry

• Posted

Yes, I had high retention: 1.2L. This was found when I had a cystonephroscopy (they thought I had an obstruction in my ureter, a possible tumour - turned out to be the high retention). So I then had a catheter fitted (3rd July) until I had the prostate op, and to see if this improved my poor kidney function reading and blood pressure (it has).

It was when I saw the urologist a month or so later to see how I was going on, and I'd niavely assumed I'd be having the catheter out, that I got the unwelcome news that it'd stay until the op. And you know the rest of that story.

Yes, I too was told my baldder would be floppy, etc. I can only say I now pee like a horse (well, comparatively). But I try to ensure the max evacuation by squatting (I have a squat stool) a la the 3rd world toilets - I've done this for some time now, as it also helps with defecation.

So all in all I consider my op a success. But I do still get up at least once in the night, often twice.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your quick reply to my question.  It is good to know that

you situation is ok and gives me hope for when I finally have my op.

I had 900ml left in my bladder after the Flow Meter test, and they put straight onto a catheter pending a op. I am hoping for the same result as you (i.e no self-cathetersiation after the op).

Only time will tell, just hoping that my bladder is not in a bad state.

Kind Regards

Brian

• Posted

Hi Ian/Guys,

I started this thread over 6 months ago as you are no doubt aware.  I finally had my prostate operation a couple of weeks ago.  (other health matters slowed it down for a while). First of all I was down for a Turp Operation, then decided that Holep would be better for me in respect of my retention problem. Early days yet, but I am improving day by  day.

Best Wishes to All

Brian

• Posted

Hi Derek, my urologist has offered a Thulium procedure which I have deferred for the moment as I am concerned about any possible side effects particularly possible incontinenece. Would be interested to hear your views on effectiveness of treatment and side effects. I am coping ok with symptoms at moment so do not want to rush into procedure before independent investigation. Any info you can give would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. This thread is over a year old and during that time there have been advances in a number of less invasive procedures such as PAE, Urololift and Rezum. One fellow here just had something even newer, focused laser ablation (FLA), and we are waiting to hear the results. All these procedures potentially offer less down time and fewer sexual side effects such as retrograde orgasm. And for those that want to wait, there is self catherization (CIC) something not often suggested by the Uro's but a time proven method of emptying and possibly rehabilitating the bladder. It is a course I have chosen to take. 

Derek is very knowlegeable in laser treatments and hopefully he will see your post. Just wanted to update you on some of the newer procedures in case you weren't aware.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Jim,

Never heard of PAE what is that? Ive searched Rezum, only site I can find is in the USA, do you know if they are available on NHS? I've heard of Urololift but unable to find out too much on NHS website. Do you know if this is available.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tim

• Posted

Hi Tim,

We have threads here on both PAE, Rezum and Urolift. My recollection is that some of the UK members paid out of pocket but not sure. You really should check the threads out yourself. 

What are you current symptons? Do you know your post void residual (PVR)? Google "IPSS score" and go to the urospec web site and take the test. Let us know what your score is. 

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

yes pvr is 410mls and IPSS score 23. With size of prostate 94cc would be interested in any comments with relation to suitability of these alternative treatments

Tim

• Posted

Tim,

PAE and Urololift have more of a track record than Rezum. FLA for BPH is very new. Also new is iTend (still in trial in USA). I have also heard about a stent system used in Europe called Memokath Stent but don't know that uch about it.  They all have mixed results but the common thread is that they are less invasive than Thulium and therefore the side effects would tend to be less. 

As to suitablity, if it were me, I'd start looking into PAE and Urolift, although the only doctors I'm familiar with are here in the U.S.A. You should check the threads here on both and see where others have gotten these procedures in Europe. My recollection is that they had to pay out of pocket. If not in a rush, I would keep my eye open on Rezum and iTind and maybe do some research on MemoKath. Until you decide CIC is a good option.  

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.