Chronic Sacrialic joint dysfunction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help!! I have chronic sijd, i also have a failed l4/5 fusion which can't be fixed, i had the opp 15 years ago and was only diagnosed last year with fbss. I also have a thoracic arachnoid cyst on t2-6 compressing my spinal cord and cervical spondylosis.

I haven't been able to walk for 19 months because of sijd, pain when sitting, standing also, I've been in physio since April and although I have made some improvement it has been probably the slowest recovery ever. I have burning from my waist right down to my foot but also bilateral nerve lain from my calves down. I'm really struggling with this one mentally and physically and just had enough today, has anyone got advice on how to ease the symptoms, I feel lime the sijd has been going on for much LO get but mistaken because of the fusion and now think the damage to the nerves will never repair, I am going out of my mind with pain.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. You have had an awful time and it's no wonder you are down. I am sorry I am not responding with a solution but when I was at a pain clinic some years ago the nurse said "The nerves can re-route themselves you know" This had quite an effect on me and I started to visualise the nerves taking a different, pain free route. I can't say it cured me but it did make a difference to my pain level.

• Posted

Hi Kate and thank you for replying, that's sounds interesting I will certainly look into it.

• Posted

I dont even have a diagnosis for what i have but a lot of pain around hip back and leg! Some days are just worse. Can you get into a swimming pool? I Just went this morning as i was feeling a lot of pain.

I only walked really around the pool just to get some muscles moving. It was actually nearly painless. May have just been passing the time for a few hours and occupying your mind.

I know your feeling! its tough

• Posted

hI David, I have been doing physio in the pool since April but have been struggling to get there the past few weeks so continued physio at home, I'm going to try and get back tomorrow.

I'm sorry your suffering, I don't know your situation but have you checked sacrialic joint dysfunction? apparently it contributes to 62% of lower back pain but can be easily missed as surgeons still can decide on wether the sij actually has movement. I hope you find out what is causing your pain soon.

• Posted

Hello, fist of all, I am a retired MD. I don't have a specific answer for you because you are very complicated and I don't want to guess about the exact cause of your pain. Thinking about the anatomy, since all of your lower back problems are located superficial or close to the skin, why not try a topical cream which is easily absorbed and can treat the pain directly? I have chronic back problems and have tried all forms of therapy. Most things work for a while but I have been supplementing all these conventional medical treatments with topical creams and ointments and am amazed at the results. The simplest and least expensive one is DMSO but you can find many alternatives on line and on Amazon. I could give you a list but the moderator will likely void this entry. I like the one that sounds like penetrate. Everyone is different , so you might have to experiment.

• Posted

Hi John and thank you for your reply, you made me laugh when you said " complicated" that's exactly what my surgeon said.

I actually have a lidocaine patch on but they don't seem to work anymore, I will try the one you suggested thank you

• Posted

I have tried all the Lidocaine patches and they are all the same. They numb the skin but don't seem to be able to penetrate very deep. I still have some but don't bother with them any more. The Penetrex cream is the best for me and I combine it with DMSO. I suggest you give these a try. I have tried putting these on other areas which are painful but are not deep and they seem to work very well.

• Posted

so sorry you are facing so much. I am curious about your abbreviations ie sijd, fbss? My best wishes are with you. I also have fusions L 3,4,5 S1, have nerve damage. have had every procedure available plus a nevro implant. Still have to use opiate medicines to have any kind of life. I had to adjust my thinking about these medications and realize they were my only hope of some quality of life. I do not abuse them in any way and have learned to be grateful for the quality of life they allow me to have. You are fighting for your health, think if yourself as a full time warrior who has to fight so hard for a quality life. Allow yourself all options that are available to you. I am sending hugs.

• Posted

hi, "fusion" a word I wish I didn't know!! I'm sorry you are suffering.

fbss...means failed back surgery syndrome

sijd....sacrialic joint dysfunction, look this up it might also be affecting you (I hope not) but once you have been fused it can lead to stress on surrounding joints and sijd can be mistaken for lower back pain.

I have been on most opiods but they made me so sick and actually did not help after a while. I use gabapentin, tens machine, stretching, I've and lidocaine patches. I tried to go food shopping yesterday with my husband (I go to the smallest supermarket) but even trying to get ready takes everything I have and by the time we got back I was on my knees crying with pain, I barely leave my house now it's just to stressful

• Posted

I am sending you hugs and many best wishes are incoming too. This is such a life changer and its a big fight everyday to keep positive energy around us. You are in my thoughts.

• Posted

Thank you it means so much i hope you are well but i also understand that you must be going through a lot, i hope you have a good support network around you, take care of your fusion and your spine 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.