Chronic Sciatic Pain feeling hopelesd

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 21 year old female who has been having issues with my back for the past two years. The first time my back flared it was due to me sleeping in an odd position on a couch. Those symptoms lasted for about 7 months and then went away for about 10 months only to come back.

The second flare up was not as bad as the first as I was still able to walk and lay down comfortably. I could not walk long distances, but I could at least get myself from point A to point B. This flare up never really went away and I found myself in constant dull pain like cramps running down my leg.

The third flare which I'm going threw right now is by far the worst. I can not walk, sit, stand, or lay down comfortably. I am on muscle relaxers and NSAIDS I also use a TENS unit but nothing is helping. I feel it is getting worse as I am losing sensation in my leg and I can't get up to use the bathroom well. Sometimes I have to pee but when I go I can't because the pressure of peeing hurts too badly.

I am at my wits end I don't know what to do I have physical therapy in place but don't see how that is going to help as I can't move. I've been to the emergency room several times but they say they can't do anything and send me home.

It's worth mentioning too that the third flare up started after I fell in a store.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Elizabeth it sounds like u may have damaged something in your back. Ask your doctor for a CT scan to check your spine. Any problem related to bladder or bowel function is serious and should be treated as an emergency. I don't want to scare you but you need to insist on having a proper examination I am surprised your doctor isn't treating this a bit more seriously

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, i am stood here writing at 6 am having been up since 4 am due to my sciatica. I have taken the naproxen , have a tens machine on and a hot water bottle strapped to my back. I have had trouble since December 2017 but , started with sciatica end of May. Like you i am having physio and its getting worse. I am desperate and am seeing a chiro at 6pm tonight. i am scared as in pain that the chiro will hurt but, i cannot cope with this pain. I am on gabapentin and cocodamol too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.