Chronic sciatica since April 2013.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had chronic sciatica since April 2013. I woke up one morning and could not put any weight on my left leg due to agonizing pain in my left buttock and lumbar region. 20 years prior to this i had a microdiscectomy for a herniated L5/S1 disc. This alleviated the totally numb right leg, from buttock to foot. It also helped a lot with the pain and inability to walk anything but snail pace. I had recurring episodes of back pain over the next few years which was helped by co-proxamol/ naprozene/ and piroxicam at different times. One day while out with my husband and cousin in spain driving in the mountains(Me back seat passenger. We hit a pothole at speed and bounced all over the place which amazingly cured any residual pain and stiffness in my back. Up until April this year. My MRI Scan has shown posterior bulge on L4/L5 and narrowing of the spine on the left side. Also my operated on disc L5/S1 is flattened. Despite visiting an osteopath since April I am still in pain every morning until i warm up. I was takiing 30/500 co-codamol 4 times daily, amiltryptline nightly and gabapentin 3 times daily. I am only taking 8/500 co-codamol once a day now and the occasional gabapentin. I have being told by the osteopath to give myself at least a year/18 months to recover up to my optimum level. Sadly i gave up my long standing job with SEN children as i knew i did not have the fitness to continue. sad

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update on sciatica and back pain. Feeling more like me. Still seeing osteopath every 7 weeks and also seeing nhs physio. Given hamstring and calf muscle stretches which help my back. Herbal tinctures just made me feel unwell. So i take pain relief at night only. Usually panadol or sometimes co-codamol if back painful. Have been told by osteopath i will be fit to return to work in the summer 2014 with more strength in back for the next 12 months. I walk 3-5 miles a week if weather permits! I wish u all a pain free 2014 x

• Posted

Hi Jan

As my previous notes have said,I was called into hospital after the surgeon saw how much pain I was

in[had to have a wheelchair] to see him.Had the operation on the 15th January where they found a cyst

had grown down my spine and was pressing on the sciatic nerve!no wonder I was in such pain.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I should never of gone to a chiropractor [got my money back from him]

but instead asked for another MRI scan as they were going by the one I had in October,but when you are

drugged up one does not think but the doctors should of put me in for one.

But the good news is I am out of pain and being treated by the NHS to physio treatment,I do my exercises

twice a day,so looking forward to a wonderful 2014,and hope everyone on this site gets pain free x

• Posted

Great news Jacqueline, hope you continue to improve. Happy New Year to you x

• Posted

Thank you Jan things can hopefully only get better for all of us x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.