Chronic/severe pain following total hip replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I posted here about a year and half ago but seems I cannot add to that post.

I am begging for any help, ideas, suggestions in solving, or at least some u understanding on what's going on with me.

Spare with me I am going to try and keep this short as possible but want to provide as much info as possible.

Brief history, at 6 years old I was diagnosed with per perthese leg calves disease. I used crutches and wore leg braces which resolved the issue. I walked with a slight limp most of my life. By my late teens to early 20s I experienced chronic pain in low back and arthritic pain in and around my right hip, which was to be expected. I am now 34 years old, married and two kids.

Long story short, 3 years ago the pain became intolerable. after MRI and xray on back and hip it was determined I needed my hip replaced. pre surgery I was unable to work and in a lot of pain but it wasn't the end of the world. I had THR of right hip 2016. Post OP I was not healing as expected and surgeon was stumped. Only thing my wife and I noticed was post OP x-ray showed a screw going away from hip joint and exiting pelves in what appeared to be the buttock area. we were told not to worry about it but surgeon had no idea.

I was unable to return to work and benefits ran out so I lost my job. in March 2017, primary care physician diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. Med after med was tried with no positive results.

MRI on back, both pre. and post OP, shows slight bulge in one of the discs but nothing that would be causing the pain I'm in.

I've had bone scan on hip to check joint and ct scan of pelvis. had nerve testing done twice, first showed chance of nerve damage in leg. 2nd nerve testing did not show any issues. a shot was done around the random.screw and I recieved 15 percent relief for about a week. this resulted in a revision surgery, by diff surgeon, to remove screw and check hardware. I am now 2 months post OP of the revision surgery and am back to same old problems and pain.

I am.currently going to PT, who is the one who recommended I each out to a forum such as this. The PT's latest

following is list of symptoms I have been experiencing throughout the last 3 years. I understand not all symptoms are for sure related but listing all in hopes someone can relate, offer treatment ideas, meds or even a possible diagnosis.

Low back pain, just above buttocks accompanied by a good size knot on both sides of back

Shooting pain from back down legs. was less severe and only down right side pre THR. now down both legs with right more severe.

Pain in buttock and ham strings and also on inside of leg. specifically just below right buttock mlre towards inside of leg going to inside if the knee

Muscle spasms in back and legs with legs and buttocks being worse. sometimes so severe the whole bed shakes

Legs have always been extremely tight but post THR I cannot touch my right foot even to out on a sock.

Arms and legs fall asleep easily and I experience severe tingling in buttock and hamstrings specifically when laying down

Bottom of feeti getting burning sensation as if a flame is being held to them, again specifically when laying down

Low energy, smallest physical activity will drain me. the more I do the more I will suffer

Off and on migraines

Pain that radiates from right hip into mid pelvic region and groin. also claims up side above hip to the bottom of rib cage

Swelling along entire right buttock hip side and back

Extreme sweating even without physical exertion. but when being physical, meaning folding laundry, sweat will put from head

Dry scaly skin around ankles and elbows

Low to no appetite

Stomach will cramp and diarrhea when back pain is at its worse

I have tried cymbalta, lyrica, gabapentin, multiple muscle relaxers and other anti inflammatory medications. None of the meds have helped and some have had negative results

I am currently going to PT where I have had dry needling done and laser treatment. both made pain worse.

only relief i get is from marijuana and massages, both temporary.

PT is the one who recommended I reach out and see if someone has had similar experience or symptoms. PT did mention Complex regional pain syndrome. I have appt next month with primary care to see what's next.

sorry for length of this but as I said imam desperate for anything that helps. I no longer have any hope I will get back to even my normal, pre THR, chronic pain. I only hope I can find some relief so I can enjoy at least some part of this life.

Thanks,

Jake

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try doing some very easy paced swimming. Your problem is related to your hips; so, consider just kicking with your legs behind a boogey board. (Also check YouTube for swimming exercises to relieve hip pain.) My herniated cervical disc problem is much smaller in scope than your hip problem. Nonetheless, doing a modified elementary backstroke, has done so much to eliminate my pain and tingling. In fact, it's results have greatly surpassed those I achieved with PT.

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.