Chronic sinus pain, face ache, ears popping, headache, jaw pain, neck ache.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem I've been suffering with for well over 10 years.

The main symptoms are sinus pain / blockage and the need to constantly pop my ears. It feels like that's the core of the problem, but it also creates pain around my eyes, in my eyebrows, in my temples, my jaw and at the back of my neck in my atlas joint. My entire face aches and feels strained and the only way I can really relieve it is by going to sleep. I've suffered with occasional light headedness / dizziness as well and in the last couple of years I've also developed anxiety, which may or may not be connected.

This has been happening on and off for well over 10 years. My earliest memory of it was when I was in my second year at university, which was in 2003. It comes and goes and sometimes I'm fine, but it returns regularly (at least once every three weeks) and usually lasts for several days at a time. It does sometimes seem to be triggered by certain things - red wine for example - but other times it seems to just happen on its own accord.

I've spoken to the doctor about it and she simply prescribed a steroid nasal spray, which does help to ease the symptoms a bit, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to spray steroids up your nose on an ongoing basis and I would really like to tackle the route cause of this problem rather than simply masking the symptoms.

Has anyone experienced or dealt with this sort of issue before, and do you have any suggestions I could try?

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

If you think red wine may be a trigger there are very probably other triggers - these things tend to have an underlying reason rather than happening of their "own accord".

It may be your body is trying to cope with something it really doesn't like and red wine or whatever is enough to push it into overload. There are many things we can be allergic to without realising so you could try eliminating certain food groups to see what happens - there's loads of information about how to do this sensibly. A great start is to keep a food diary of absolutely everything you eat and drink. One other thing that may help is to take evening primrose 1000mg everyday - along with making sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals.

Other triggers can be environmental, it just needs some detective work on your part.

Congratulations on not going down the "I just need antibiotics" route!

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response Miriam. Yes, I fear it probably is an allergy response and I'm just being a bit lazy now doing the proper detective work. I'm pregnant at the moment, so I don't think it would be appropriate to do an elimination diet right now, but I'll look to do one after the baby's born. Heck no to the antibiotics! I tend to avoid them unless 100% necessary 😃

• Posted

Hello Claire188, have you had any imaging done? Like a CT scan? The reason I ask is that several years ago Ihad an MRI done because of extreme accoustic noise that caused some damaged in one ear. The report mentioned a blocked right sphenoid sinus. Two dr's never mentioned. A year later I had another ct of my sinus's because of a long infection. The same blocked sphenoid sinus shoed up and this time Ieas sent to my ENT who sent me to the University of Chicago where it was taken care of. All the dr's were surprised I had no symptoms. That I was told is unusual. I was told that there are not just one set of symptoms people get with the sphenoil sinus infections . ALL this to say I'd suggest you ask your Dr/ENT to get some imaging done. Either a CT or an MRI. I Hope the best for uou. Geo

• Posted

Hi 1951grumpa, thanks so much for your response. I've not had any scans or imaging done, but would be fascinated to see if there's anything wrong in there. I generally find doctors are keen to get you out of the surgery asap as they're so overworked and usually running late - hence the steroid spray prescription last time I tried. But I'll go back again and request a referral to an ENT I think, and see if we can make some more progress.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Please to meet you. Steroid spray will only treat the symptoms (if it works) and won't get rid of your infection. I would strongly recommend you try sinusoothe. I can't guarantee it will work for you like it did for me but t would be worth trying. It is a nose spray and I must admit I was a bit reluctant to use this at first however it is the best thing I have done and no more sinus pain, headaches, fatigue etc, etc. is testament to that. Good luck!

• Posted

Wow I hadn't heard of Sinusoothe before but i just looked it up and it looks great thank you. I'm a big fan of natural ingredients and "nasal spray addiction" is definitely something I'd like to treat. I will definitely try this, thank you so much.

• Posted

HELLO Claire im new to this forum. ive suffered with my sinuses for years but these last week months are worse than ever. Do you or anyone else get the shivers, i go freezing to the bone when my sinuses are so bad. Also when i go in shops i feel my head gets tighter and full of pressure.

wish we all feel better soon x

• Posted

In the past that had happened to me but typically when they were badly infected.

When they are blocked with clear thick mucous and they are not that inflamed then it doesn't happen as much.

Tinnitus is an issue for me now, got to thank my sinuses for that one..!

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you're suffering with your sinuses too. Shivers and feeling cold is not something I experience, but that sounds awful - like fever symptoms? Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

I do notice certain places/situations make it worse, for sure. Tinny background music, humming air con units or being near someone listening to music on headphones all make my ears perk up and jaw ache. I can't be around that for long!

• Posted

thank you for your reply i have pulsating tinnitus which i only hear when its quiet so i have the radio on most of the time but not when im trying to get to sleep, bit this is the time it beats against the pillow THUD THUD.

my coldness is happening even though i have no infection. I have a doctors appointment on WEDNESDAY so ill see what he says although i imagine he will just look at me strange as usual yet its taken me three weeks to get this appointment.

i feel sorry for us all x

• Posted

Often I find that there are no appointments to book at our doctors, more so if I want the same one for continuity...!

Tinnitus can be really problematic and very intrusive. Some days I seem to focus on it more than others. Then it can drive me crazy.

If you have suffered with your sinuses for years, and it is still very much an issue for you, then ask to see an ENT.

It could help.

Irrigation could also offer you some relief.

Best wishes

• Posted

I can very much relate with what you wrote.

Things have improved in some way for me since my two sinus surgeries.

But they have offered some relief and not a cure.

Ear pain and now full time tinnitus is another joy that I need to deal with.

Perhaps an ENT for scans etc might be useful considering how long you have had this.

• Posted

Hi Vimes, thanks so much for the advice. I have always wondered if i might need surgery, but just keep putting it off, but I think you're right - it's time to see an ENT!

• Posted

I went for many years self managing this situation. As time passed our became more difficult to do so. Seeing what I saw in the CT scans made me realise that until some bone obstructions were removed nothing was going to improve.

Obviously no one knows at this stage how things will be for you but considering how long you have suffered with this it might be a good idea to consider seeing an ENT.

I do still irrigate each day.

Allergic type rhinitis, mine is non allergic, can be difficult for some to find their triggers. If that applies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.