Chronic Sinusitis and Deviated Septum

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

After some advice please! I can never really remember being able to breath through my nose properly then in 2014 I got a bad sinus infection that took months to go away. Since then I have had problems with a constant blocked nose. I sometimes have pressure and pain in my nose as well as frontal headaches and my snot (sorry!) is clear but often smells cheesy. Anyway, at the beginning of March I had a dreadful ‘flare up’ where I started with pressure and pain in my forehead, cheeks and nose. In addition I had sharp pains at certain points in my forehead as well as pain/pressure at the top of my head, ear and back of head. Dr prescribed me a nasal spray and a week of doxycycline, he also referred me to ENT. My symptoms are a little better but not cured as my nose still hurts, is blocked and I’m still getting pains in my head. I saw the ENT yesterday who wasn’t that helpful! He said I had a deviated septum and he could straighten it but this wouldn’t necessary help me as this may not be the cause of the problem and he would see me in 3 months for me to decide, in the meantime I should keep using the spray. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Or had their septum straightened? Does it help? I don’t really know what to try next.

Thanks, Charlotte x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would see another ENT to get a second opinion. I have a deviated septum, among other issues with ETD, but the surgery for the deviated septum might help you. The Flonase or nasal spray you could keep using. Do you have bad allergies? Have you ever had an allergy test?

It's always good to get a second or third opinion,because the next ENT might spot something or think of another procedure to help. That's what I did, my first ENT couldn't figure it out and was going to send me to a neurologist because of the pain in my forehead and dizziness. The second ENT figured out I had eustachian tube dysfunction and did the sinuplasty on me which helped. I also saw an allergist which showed I'm allergic to almost everything, started taking singular which helped as well.

So it could be a number of things... Best to see someone else than wait 3 months in torture.

Phil

• Posted

Thanks very much for your response. I think you’re right, maybe I should go and see someone else as I feel he didn’t really listen. He wasn’t interested when I told him about the foul smelling snot or that my ear makes a clicking sound as does the bridge of my nose. I will look into it. Thanks again 
  • Posted

Sure thing. The clicking of the ear could be an eustachian tube problem, but hopefully it's nothing too severe that it can't be fixed. Go onto some websites and see who is top rated for ENT in your area, that way you can read reviews that people leave which will be helpful. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.