CHRONIC SINUSITIS AND UPCOMING SINUS SURGERY!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had chronic sinusitis for years and up till now my ENT has only had me on Flonase spray and doing sinus rinses with the Neti Pot.  A few months ago he ordered a sinus CT scan and he reviewed them with me and pointed out how all of the areas that were supposed to be black (open) were gray and completely blocked.  So I  have mucous that's trapped in my sinuses and cannot drain out at all! And of course I'm chronically congested and so I breathe more through my mouth.  My doctor put me on a 30 day course of antibiotics which I finished a little over a month ago and today I saw him for a follow up and he did the usual scope in both nostrils. He didn't really explain things too well, just told me that I was a lot sicker than originally thought because if my sinuses.  So I will have another sinus CT scan next week and almost certainly sinus endoscopy surgery soon after.  I've been reading some pretty scary stuff about this surgery and wonder if anyone has any advice to offer - whether it be a good or bad experience for them and what I can expect as far as the recovery period and how much discomfort comes after the surgery. Does it work and will my sinuses be clear so the mucus can drain freely or will things clog up again?  I also have a nasal polyp that will be removed.  I have severe sleep apnea also and use CPAP & wonder how the surgery will affect me using my mask at night. I'm getting so anxious about this and I guess I just want guarantees that this will make things much better for me.  Please share your experiences with this surgery if you've had it, I need all the advice I can get. And if it makes any difference, I'm 62 years old and somewhat overweight and was told that during previous surgeries and procedures that they had difficulty intubating me. So as you can see, many factors play into this upcoming surgery!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a follow up sinus CT scan last week and there was NO improvement at all when compared to the scan in August, so surgery is scheduled for next month and I'm scared!  Anyone who has similar health problems like I do (I have moderate COPD and acid reflux , nasal allergies also along with the chronic sinusitis) or know someone who's had this surgery with similar health problems please share your experience with me.  Like I said, having sleep apnea and still having apnea episodes while using CPAP concerns me because I will be under anesthesia and most likely my brething will stop a few times while having surgery.  Also, my heartrate slows considerably and my blood pressure drops while I'm asleep, so I'm hoping all of this is closely monitered while I'm under the anesthesia.  And if anyone can shed some light on to how much pain, nasal congestion and bleeding and crusting is involved during the recovery period please let me know what I can expect.  And will I be able to use my CPAP and mask during the time at home after the surgery?  I am using a pressure of 13 which is pretty high and wonder how I'll be able to tolerate that air blowing into my nose and mouth right after the surgery. Please share any advice you can so I can go into this surgery knowing what to expect and whether I should rethink even having the surgery, and will it make a significant difference in the way I feel after I'm recovered?  I just want to feel normal again and be able to breathe freely through my nose again!  Any helpful advice would be so appreciated!

• Posted

Did you end up getting the surgery ? Did it help you ? My ent said surgery is the only thing that will help me but I'm very scared

• Posted

Hi, just wondering how the surgery went.  I was 66 and overweight and had cpap when i had my first surgery.  I have had four FESS surgeies.  Each time they shaved more and more off my sinuses.  The surgeries for me were a piece of cake.  I always felt better afterward.  However, i have a problem with my immune system that overreacts to trouble spots, in particular my sinuses.  It is to the point now that all they can do is treat the symptoms.  I rarely have nasal discharge. All the mucus goes down my throat and causes severe coughing.  Use a daily topical steroid via nasal wash to keep open the sinuses.  Occassionally i have to do a round of antibiotics for 2-4 weeks.  At this point its just something to live with or outgrow.  Id be interested in your experiences.
  • Posted

Hi John 

As you mentioned an overreaction to sinus problems, I feel compelled to mention my recent posts regarding the benefits of Evening Primrose Oil.

This is a miracle cure for allergy sufferers, as it inhibits the body’s reaction to normal irritants. 

Try taking one 1000mg capsule of Evening Primrose Oil daily for two weeks and see if it is an answer to your problem.

Kind regards, Ray.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.