chronic sinusitis ruining career, appearance, and life!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last year i developed allergies to almost every outside allergen. I began shots for about 6 months. One thing i noticed was my allergies became increasingly worse after each shot to where i developing more pronounced symptoms as before i just had mild hot flashes and occasional sinus pressure, Now i was having mucousy sticky watery eyes, terrible anxiety, increased brain fog and sinus pressure so bad i would faint occasionaly. 7 months in 2 days after a shot, one side of my face randomly swelled up. Immediatly i went to a doctor and was told it was a sinus infection and stopped shots. I did my antiobiotics and steroids 2 weeks to no avail, and was prescribed another harsher round. After 1 month, the side of my face was still swollen, but was told there was no infection and was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis. I went through every allergy spray and pill available and two things somewhat worked for me, but gave me terrible side effects and had to be stopped.

zyrtec d- somwhat drained swelling fluid in cheek and eye... cannot be taken long term and gave me horrid anxiety

xyzal- worked somewhat but made me a zombie and i couldnt function at all

dymista- worked somewhat but its a steroid and gave me migraines and extreme fatigue.

I became so fed up amd even visited a neurologist, dermatoligist, opthomalogist, and rheumatoligist, to rule out some kind of autoimmune to no avail. So this all stimmed from allergies. I have also followed a strict diet cutting out food allergies and intolerances. tried cleanses, acv and anything to get me through to live a somewhat normal day.

This year changed for the worst, I am a makeup artist so as if the left side face swelling and eye swelling on and off wasnt bad enough, it is now constant and does not go away. My sinuses are always full of mucuous and im so dizzy. wierdly i even developed receeding breaking hair on my left side of my hair line and hand swelling upon working out. This is all on the left side where my sinus stays swollen. I have even become increasingly sensitive, my left sinus seems to be sensitive to everything!! Perfumes, chemical smells, even just going outside in the sun, it swells and is noticeable in my maxillary area, so my entire cheek and under my eye to the orbital. I have had to quit my job and move back in with my parents it has gotten so bad and ruining my self esteem. I have always been known as the pretty girl with perfect hair and makeup, very fun and outgoing but I am becoming increasingly depressed. Can someone please give me some insight as to if they struggle with anything similar, mainly the persistant noticeable swelling in the face?!Please

additional info:

Swelling occassionaly follows pins and needles feelings in face and scalp

swelling also will follow almost a feeling of novacaine, to where my entire left side goes numb intermitdly

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. Although I have not found any solutions of my own, much of what you mentioned sounds exactly like what I've been going through. It was the same for me when seemingly overnight I became extremely allergic to outdoor airborne allergens. I chose not to do allergy shots because I had heard other stories like yours where the shots had only made things worse. 

I too had to quit my job, currently living with my parents and thankfully am able to do remote work. Many days I am too dizzy to drive and I also have had TERRIBLE anxiety with all of this. I'm so fatigued that even when I have a decent day I'm usually exhausted after I do a few "routine" activities. 

Have you had you had a sinus culture before to see if you have a fungal infection? Oftentimes, that is the root of mine, but unfortunately, most anti-fungal medications turn me into a zombie and don't offer any relief. Things might be different for you. Have you had any time of CT scan? It's worth checking for any nasal polyps that could be causing the inflammation. 

Methylprednisolone (oral steroid) is a lifesaver when things are really bad. It heightens my anxiety and tends to keep me up at night, but it brings down the inflammation. I don't have a lot of external swelling, my cheeks do get full around my eyes though. I've filled a sock with rice and heat it up in the microwave to put on my face. It helps with headaches and to bring down swelling. Only slightly, but I take any relief I can get! 

It sounds like we're in the same boat with chronic inflammation. But I've spent nearly three years now trying to get to the bottom of it and constantly being told it's nothing more than allergies + anxiety/depression. It's extremely frustrating. I really wish I had the answers. It's truly a living nightmare and for people who haven't experienced it, they do not seem to understand how bad it is. 

• Posted

I fully agree. I almost feel anyone living with an infection that is chronically dismissed by doctors will have some bout of anxiety., as i had had it mildly before but to be told My sinuses are fine and Im just crazy just makes me more depressed and almost question whether i truly am sometimes. I recently even had an anxiety attack in the office of my ent because I was so fed up with them dismissing a clearly shown illness, like it is visible in my face and hairline, so annoying! Allergies do run in my family as well slas sinus infections so i knew i would develop them eventually but not to this degree. Im so happy you did not recieve the allergy shots, as i do believe they work for some people (as they did my own family) I strongly feel that they reaked havoc on my immune system and caused me to become chronically ill. If there was ever a time i could go back and change something, that would be it
    • Posted

Can u tell me where u got the information on people having adverse reactions with the allergy shots. I would like to see if there r similiar symptoms to mine and I would love to show my allergist
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your reaction. That is miserable. It was mostly word of mouth (I'd had some friends who felt allergy shots weren't worth the time/money.) If you do a quick google search, you can see that adverse reactions are possible because allergy shots are injecting you with the thing you are allergic to. Much like from my understanding of flu-shots where some people's bodies can have an adverse reaction and get flu-like symptoms from the shot. I had an allergy skin test with my primary ENT and they had to stop the test early because I was having such a bad reaction when they'd inject even just a small amount of the allergen. That's when I knew that allergy shots might not be a good idea. He agreed. Unfortunately, we have not found any solution. I've been to two other ENTs who both suggest shots, but I trust my primary ENT the most (although to be honest, I've been very skeptical of all doctors lately because of the way they've dismissed my issues.) 

Also, I can't agree more about you saying the worst part is not knowing how you're going to feel on any giving day. Feels like you stole the words from my mouth! My friends and family don't seem to understand, but it makes it so difficult for me to make plans in advance (especially if travel is included.) It's good to know we're not in this alone, but I desperately hope and pray we can all get relief. 

• Posted

Yes, exactly! I was the same way. I'd always had mild anxiety and I feel like doctors just point to that. But I continually tell them it did not get this severe until I became so ill. During times when I feel a bit better, the anxiety backs right back down. I don't understand how they can't see it. Especially like you said when you were in a place working your dream job and being forced to stop. Anyone would feel depressed in that situation. I greatly appreciate your advice. I am thinking long and hard before shots. You're right that many people do have a lot of benefit from them, but I've become increasingly wary. 

• Posted

Yes it is true they do inject the allergen(s) inside of u. Compounding what u r already breathing in on daily basis .

I have currently made it up to top bottle which is the red cap which is the largest concentration of allergen. Apparently once I finish this bottle I go to a once a month maintenance phrase. This red capped bottle has been the worst and getting through this one has been tough. Causing me to sometimes skip the injections. When u skip u then have to go back a dose r repeat a dose, it depends on how long between injections. They r injecting three different allergens inside of me and I don't get why the can't see the possibility of a reaction.

I will definitely continue to gauge the reaction I get from the shots. I skip last weeks injections because I had multiple flare up the last couple of days with my sinsus issues.

• Posted

Nope I never did take a flu shot because I felt I was taking enough shots. Lol thank u for the above information I will like monitor my reactions
  • Posted

I don't have all of your symptoms but I have been diagnosed with chronic sinsusitis/ rhinitis. I have been taking shots for a little over two years. I have not been able to get to the maintenance phase because like u said after the shots and some days after i feel like S**T.The allergy symptoms feel like they r intensified. When I tell the allergist and his tech about how the shots make me feel they seem to think it is no big deal. So some weeks I just don't get the shot. I explain to them that I am single father and to feel like a have the flu for three days r more is not cool.

This ailment comes in many forms and people who do not have this ailment have no idea.

The not knowing how I am going to feel from day to day is what really bothers me hence messing my quality of life

But as u see from the response u r not alone.

• Posted

So sorry to hear, and yes i completly understand. Although I am not a parent, I was working my dream job making good money that i had finally landed. But the amount of mental clarity i needed amd the stress of its job itself was taxing from the allergy shots. Especially the fainting spells. I was told as well by the doctors they had never heard of it, typically people felt better. In all honesty i do hope you find some relief with these, as i do feel like they have ruined my life and others they have also brought great relief as per my own family memebers. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank u Bree and I hope the same for U, I will attempt to continue the shots but at my own pace. But I have to believe u and I r not the only ones who r having problems from the shots. They r just told by the doctors the same that we were told by the allergist that all is okay.
    • Posted

Not sure if you saw tylers responce to your question to show the allergist, but i also responded as well. Again not trying to sway you off the path of allergy shots but the things mentioned are worth looking at. My main concern is that you feel sick after, which is usually not ever heard of as i was told. But those were my first symptoms as well and I brushed them away and continued. Like i said, allergies run in my family and we have a ton of relatives, they all get the shots as well and never experienced anything but feeling better after each recieved
    • Posted

Yes I reached out to Tyler to c if he can direct me to anything that mention reactions to shots. I also people who have mentioned how much better they felt after the shots. Me not so much lol.but I also know people who had stop because of their face swelling which is not what I experienced. So I will keep searching

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.