Chronic sore throat for almost 3 months now. PLEASE HELP :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had sore throat since late December and it is starting to scare me. At first it was just a common cold and it went on and off. The common cold symptoms eventually died down but the sore throat persisted. Sometimes the pain is not there but just for a day or two and comes back. It is not really that painfull but it still stings when I swallow. I can bare it though but it's just really scary why this problem exist for almost three months now. I have tried visiting the doctor the first month and she made me take co amoxiclav. It did not work. I went to the ENT and the doctor gave me this throat spray just for the pain and it did not help. What worries me is that there might be some serious hidden problem. The past week I started coughing and my upper back (right side below the ribcage) is starting to hurt. I also notice some dark phlegm every morning and sometimes my nose is pretty stuffy. Is this still connected to the sore throat? I'm really scared because no one can tell me what's wrong. Please help sad

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You need to go back to the Dr's and make them refer you back to ENT (or contact ENT direct if you haven't been discharged) new symptoms have now developed and it needs investigating and not just "treating the pain". You at least need a scan?! Good luck and don't let the Dr's fob you off xx
    • Posted

In all honesty I really don't know, but it's been going on a while now. You could just need some antibiotics, either way always best to get it checked out :-) xx
    • Posted

Because the doctors ask me everytime if I use my voice a lot and I tell them that yeah I sing regularly because I do have a lot of gigs. They immediately conclude that I just strain my throat and reccomend first aid treatment. But I really don't think so.
    • Posted

I mean tonsils. But I don't talk a lot and I do not sing from the throat. 
    • Posted

Just explain to them that it's getting worse and it's been going on for 3 months. Remember Dr's are people and don't let them intimidate you. You are totally within yr rights to have it further investigated....good luck and stay assertive ;-) let us know how it goes xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.