Chronic sore throat/tightness, talking makes it worse...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

I will try and make this as brief as possible!

For about 5 years I have suffered with globus sensations, and also 12 years of chronic anxiety. So I was sure the globus was just anxiety related. It came and went, and defintely got worse when i was stressed.

I also had very enlarged tonsils since I was 18, they never got infected but just caused a lot of aching when my throat was tight with globus.

About 3 months ago I had a bad time with the tightness in my throat. I was getting sore throats all the time mainly related to tsalking or singing. I had to stop singing  and to stop talking too much or I would suffer a lot afterwards.

I recently got back to england (Id been living in Thailand). The problem persisted. I decided to get my tonsils lasered out privately. That was 3 weeks ago and I have recovered from that. I have been sleeping better and there is definite relief in the throat area, so it was a good move. But I still get a very raw and sore throat just from speaking, and then all the surrounding muscles tighten up around it.

I went on a silent retreat, so I didnt say a word or 7 days, and I didnt feel any of that soreness, but as soon as I spoke again it came back.

I have had these little red spots on the back of my throat for over a month now, obvious irritation. The ENT guy who took my tonsils out said he thought it was just long term vocal misuse and that I need vocal rehab.  (I have been singing with bad technique for 17 years!)

I went down the path of thinking it was acid reflux as I had many of the symptoms. But I tried the extreme alkaline diet for weeks and I still had my sore throat from speaking. The ENT said he saw no signs of acid reflux and didnt believe all the hype about acid reflux diagnoses for throat problems.

He check my vocal cords and they are fine apparently.

So I'm very confused, and have explored every avenue I can, and have done all I can to deal with it. The problem is I cant do anything at the moment, as I cant talk for more than 30 minutes, and I cant sing. ( I am a musician).

There is no doubt I have long term tension in my throat, I can feel it, and it is most likely due to anxiety. But can that really cause red spots on my throat and losing my voice, soreness etc?

Ive been tested for strep, which I dont have. Im thinking oftaking a course of antibiotics just in case it helps!

Ive been posting on the acid reflux forums, but I just have a feeling that is not the problem, and Ive tried the diet, gaviscon advance etc. 

Im 31 years old, very fit, eat very healthily, meditate a lot and take care of my mental health.

I feel I am losing my life to this a bit as all my passion is in singing and speaking related things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Alex

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alex... I am not sure if you can relate on me as it seems your doctor already told you that you don't have reflux.Did you consulted another doctors? Coz I have a reflux before, but suffered for more for than 5 months, 3 months (as i have my 2 months vacation in korea) without medications. I didn't know its a reflux actually...my symptoms are: i have the something burn more deeper in my throat (redness) so if i look at the mirror i can't see it... my 3rd doctor saw it (yes i have been in 3 doctors, 2 doctors can't see anything this include korean doctor, I am from Philippines) My sore throat is connected to my ear, so its also feels hurt on my left ear as i have sore throat only on my left throat too. When i talk and eat its all fine... i can talk normally and eat normally. Its actually not hurt in whole day so its aching mostly in the morning and also depends on what i eat or drink. So mostly if i drink coffee, cold water, spicy food it will start aching..the aching will stop for an hour or less than. I also have heart burn sometimes.

For reflux, antibiotic will trigger this sickness. My doctor gave me medicines to take for 1 month...now i am so totally fine after that.. i start the medication in 4 months that i am carrying the reflux.But I would suggest that you need to consult other doctors too... if your doctor now can't find anything, try to consult other and tell them about all the symptoms that you feel...

• Posted

Hi Alex!

I am sorry to hear that you've been suffering from this nasty problem-- chronic sore throat. You are not alone because I am sure there are many people out there suffering from the same thing included me. Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with gastritis-- mild burning chest pain, a lot of burping no matter what I eat/drink it burps out, throat tightness, feeling like sth hanging down there in the throat, dizziness, fear, and anxiety. After around 6 months on and off taking PPI (esomeprazole) I felt better, but still burping a lot. 5 months ago I started having this throat problem, dry, red and a little swollen fleshy bump, white sticky mucus on the back of throat, mild pain when swallow saliva, when I actively speak for around 30 mins my voice gets hoarse easily and dried pain. I've been to several ENT and had my throat and voice box checked and Doc said it looks a bit red, Did you see some signs of reflux?i said; Doc said No. He looked into my nose and said you may have allerg. Then, prescribed me allerg drug ( celestamine, loratine, nasal spray, pain killer drug) for two weeks, and the symptoms went away gradually. But, just three week after that I had all the symptoms again. This time, I went to a different Doc, and she looked into my throat again and she saw signs of reflux. LPR, she diagnosed me and prescribed me PPI drugs, PEPSANE ( kind of Gaviscon) and some allergy drugs. She also told me to be patient because to let the inflamed tissue heal it will take moths-- like 5 to 6 months, with correct diet and lifestyle change. Sorry if my story is too long but at least you know you are not alone.

Sopheak

• Posted

Hi Sopheak

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds horible what youve had to go through.

Im just not sure anymore, as I do have some irritation on the back of my throat that my ent said is nothing serious, and he didnt think it was reflux. No I am seeieng a voice therapist becase everyone has told me I need vocal rehab. She says my larynx is held extremly high and I have ` lot of tension, which we will work on releasing. She says the redness could be related, or it could be just adding to the tightness.

I tried a reflux diet for a few weeks and not a huge difference. I have now gone back to eating almost what I want, healthy but not worrying about it, and I feel much better. Thats what makes me think its not reflux. But then there is still this redness in my throat.

I guess we have to keep trying, and probably more than anything learn how to relax and enjoy live inspite of these problems. From what I read it seems almost everyone with these problems also has a big problem with anxiety....and we all know what anxiety can do to our whole system. I often think if I could really let go of all my fear and anxiety my body would sort itself out.

Goof luck smile

• Posted

Google laryngospasm. That's what I have. It's a vocal cord disorder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.