Chronic tendonosis after Achilles Tendon Rupture

Posted , 5 users are following.

Suffered partial AT tear on 20/09 & followed conservative management in airboot cast for 8 weeks. Was doing well then back to work on crutches 2 weeks ago. Few days in foot was v inflamed and painful worked through it as much as I could - went back to consultant as I thought I may have re-ruptured, had an MRI 2 days ago and now have discovered chronic tendonosis and a tear to anterior talofibular ligament.  Back in boot for another 3-4 weeks..! I am completely frustrated!  Could be caused by physio programme being too aggressive but I felt I could handle it!  Has anyone else experienced this?? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh no :-(. Am only 5 weeks in but can totally understand your frustration. Should it all heal again though - after the next 3-4 weeks? 

Did the physio treatment seem quite aggressive?

• Posted

Hi Emma, 

Take it very slowly!! I did find physio painful at times but then that is to be expected after bring immobile for some time!  Hopefully it will heal soon enough as my job requires me to be on my feet all day!! 

• Posted

Thats not good. I had it the other wau round; tendonitis for 6 months followed by partial rupture and slow recovery. Into physio now but bad lower back pain is preventing much aggressive physio.. I'll definately take it slowly though
    • Posted

Tim, 

Did you treat tendonitis In any way? I'm going to be super cautious now as I couldn't handle another rupture! 

• Posted

Yes; In March this year I think I over did it at the gym, or didnt warm up enough, ended with a sore tendon. Doctor prescribed 2 different anti-imflamotories, and nitro-glycerine patches in the end..(to improve blood flow.. a bit experimental...) marginal improvement. I self reffered for physio, but in the end went private with a local sports therapist. She was very good, and over 5 weeks, a great improvement. Massage, ultrasound and heel lifts (my dr suggested high heels..) It was almost ok when I stumbled badly in a field in September and it gave way. Not sure if it had been weakened or just one of things. Might go back to the gym tomorrow!
  • Posted

Ruptured right Achilles in November  2013.  Bad tendinitis off and on since February in the left Achilles. Been using it up a lot.
    • Posted

I meant I've been taping it up a lot.  Eccentric heel drops really make it worse.
    • Posted

Oh yes.. forgot that... the physio taped my foot up.. that seemed to help me. I bought an elastic velcro support too that did take some of the pain away
  • Posted

Oh no it's fru enough this injury, I've back problems anyway which have been made worse from full ruptured achillies, I also feel physio is getting me to do too much too soon as I'm still in quite slot of pain she says my back problems are slowing the physio exercise down as since ruptured my achillies have had numb toes , finally got MRI scan on Tuesday so will see if it's due to my back , I'm down to one crutch and finally got into my trainers and hobbling around slowly around house , have tried supermarket a couple of times but get very frustrated when people walk right up behind me so was back in wheelchair yesterday 
    • Posted

Certainly is a dreadful injury! I think you have to advise your physio also and stop if too painful.  I use a foot cream to massage my toes to keep circulation moving. It helps! People are not very accommodating I find that too! I feel for people with lifelong disabilities! 
    • Posted

I've tried several foot creams as well as Arnica cream.. and surgical spirit to try and harden the sole as it was getting bruised after inactivity. The cheap hand cream and a good all over foot and heel massage really seemed to help... and ice packs too..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.