Chronic Tension Headache

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi one and all. I must start by saying that of many websites about matters to do with headaches and in particular chronic tension type headaches, this site is one of the best, if not the best I have come across. What comforted me (if that is an acceptable word for what people like me are going through?) is that there are many points on this site that have not been clearly stated elsewhere. And I found myself fitting into many of the symptoms the articles were describing. As a deep thinker, it made my mind relax just that wee bit more. I didn't want to think I had a tumour or ruptured blood clot, etc. Or maybe I still need to have a CT scan to rue this out, I don't know? My chronic headache started in mid- December 2014 and has continued daily ever since through to mid-May 2015 now! 5 months of a dull ache/pressure in the head with associated feelings of fatigue with possible eye strain (?) and every so often a period of anxiety with much stress, is by no means a pleasant experience. My GP described one person having a similar condition to mine but took one year to come out of it! In mid-December when things started for me, it was a really stressful period of being made suddenly redundant from my job and having my wife about to go in for a moderately serious operation in hospital and with a sudden death of a friend my age and having to find and move into another rental house because of being made redundant and our one dog becoming lame and needing a very expensive operation and other stuff I won't bore you with. I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels hit the roof and I am wondering just what 'damage' has been done. My head dull ache started fairly suddenly with what I would describe as a tension band around the back and sides of my head which left after about 3 weeks then what remained is what I have now, and I don't like it. I would say I'm about 30% less productive, feel lethargic often and wondering if this is also affecting my eyes due to me having prescription reading glasses about a year ago. Any thoughts or comments or helpful suggestions about what to do about all this and how to get through it? My GP just says to wait another few months to see how things go!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi there. I have had headaches for over 4 years, neck pain & headaches 24 hours a day for over a year now. My doc started me on Panadol/codeine tabs which helped tremendously but the pain worsened the last 6 months. Had scans & found slight degeneration in my neck but main cause is tension apparently. My shoulder muscles are extremely tight along with my neck muscles which makes them hurt badly & as it's pulling, it's making my head hurt even more. My medication is now amitriptyline, pregabalin & also the Panadol/codeine. Still have pain every day but I guess they are all taking the very edge off it? I go to the Chiro & Physio which helps but I feel if need daily maintenance to keep the pain at bay. I'm in Australia & my physio is from the UK & in my last visit showed me this electrode treatment called 'Tens'. It has 4 patches with cords attached to a battery operated device which is set to pulse, sending 'currents' through to muscles. I stick them on my neck & shoulders. It feels a bit like full on pins & needles but I don't feel much of my pain when I'm using it. Worth a look! I also have a lot of stresses & pressures in my life which I don't consciously think of all the time, but I guess my body knots up & tightens with it all. I wake up in pain still. Sleeping us the only time I feel no pain. I had a massage recently which was good. Think I'd need daily ones to help. Can't afford to have all those practitioners often but try to every month. Hoping that when some things going on in my life resolve, a lot if my tension will resolve along with it. Don't feel I'll ever be pain free though. Once every now & then would be manageable! Oh, also, I've tried antiinflammatorys but they didn't do much. Being in constant pain is quite depressing & stressful in itself which makes it all go around in a vicious circle!
    • Posted

Hi Leah. Thanks for sharing. You've made some good observations and suggestions. I wish you well with what you are going through and trust there is an end around the corner! Maybe a loved one could assist with those daily massages? smile
    • Edited

Hi Simon. Thank you. Unfortunately don't have anyone & have to bribe my son! smile Only Mother's Day & birthdays do I get a massage. I rub my own neck & use this massage ball I got from the physio. The day after, where I have rubbed becomes a bit swollen & so sore to touch. If I had just neck pain, I could manage with it I think with treatment, hot packs etc but it's the constant pressure & excruciating headaches that I can't handle. Driving me crazy! It hurts in my temples & my face too. Feels like sinus, tension, cluster & migraine headaches rolled into one. Is that what u feel?
  • Edited

Hi,

Does anyone one have pain in temple and over eye, also neck and lower back head hurts. I have had this constantly now for 3 weeks.

Dr did blood tests which were clear and said he thinks it is from my neck. I am very stressed and anxious 24 7 over this and think it is a brain tumour.

Just wondered if anyone gets this sort of, pain constantly. Does not bother me when asleep and is the same level all day usually.

I am in a state of panic, help anyone

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria I totally understand how your feeling all my symptoms are the same as yours but I've got the constant spaced out feeling sad. I've also had it for 3 weeks now. first my doctor thought it was a virus now he's not sure if it's my neck also. I'm just waiting for a MR I scan. I'm also taking tablets for the anexity which do help keep me calm. its just so frustrating when you don't know what's causing it. x
  • Posted

Hi you symptoms sounded just like me when I was bad with my headaches. I've been suffering chronic daily headaches 3 yrs now after having labyrinthitis before. I was getting the tight band around the forehead and dizziness. After seeing 2 neauro and and Neaurologist I was diagnosed with Mav Migraine Associated Vertigo or Vestibular Migraine. I've been on meds 3 yrs abd now vertu ally better. I still take a low dose off prevention meds that's just to keep the headaches at bay but there alot better now. I'm also starting nerve block injections this wk up london along side my low dose of meds x
  • Edited

Hi Simon,

I just read your post and in some ways is very similar to mine.

I am 36, November 2015 I had triple heart bypass surgery. A month after, as I finished a course of antibiotics, my headaches began and they are still there every moment I am awake. I will try to describe them.

It feels like a tight band in the forehead, temples and around the ears. Neck pain as well, like a constant ache. Pressure in nose bridge if I press on my right cheek. I also feel like passing out sometimes but never have.

After surgery I slept on my right side continuously for weeks at an elevated angle. I'm pretty sure this may be the cause, that or anxiety.

I have had a head mri, neck xray, seen a physio, a chiropractor and am now trying a cranial osteopath.

I was fine before surgery, apart from the arteries of course. Now it is a daily thing that I try and cope with. I do get other things like burning in the feet and leg but are very sporadic. Neck and head pain can feel like burning also.

My plan is to try the cranial osteopath for a few sessions, she says she can feel how tense the right side is and the chiropractor said this as well.

If the cranial doesn't work I will try a psychologist for the anxiety. I cannot remember not having neck and head pain. I feel for you.

Dan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.