Chronic Tension Headache has severe upper back pain on right side for 6 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from a permenant chronic tension headache, severe tightness around my right temple on the right side, neck pain, and severe muscle pain/knots by my right shoulder blade and in my right lat. it’s been 24/7 for 6 years.

I’ve seen my GP numeous times over the years, seen a Nuerologist, had nerve block injections, MRI’s, long courses of massage, accupunture, osteopathy, physio, posture correction...EVERYTHING.

It’s not daily or weekly pain. It’s been pain and chronic tension severely prohibiting my life 24/7 with no let up for 6 years. No one seems to have a solution or cause. I have to lay on a tennis ball on my upper back whenever I can for minor relief.

It’s ruining my life, and making me not go out, constantly miserable and ruining my work and social life.

I haven’t had Botox or an trigger point type injections.

The only thing I can attribute, is that ive used cocaine recreationally for roughly the same period of time, and probably 2-3 times a week, with alcohol. Ironically, whilst doing it, it lessens the pain and tension. is this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When people use cocaine, amphetamines, antidepressants or mdma they can subconsciously move their jaw around and grind their teeth a lot, which can put pressure on all the areas which are causing you pain. Do you get a clicky jaw, sensitive teeth or mouth ulcers? These can be other symptoms. The reason you don't feel it as bad when you are on coke is because it is a painkiller.

The more you use, the worse the pain will get.

For years I had the pains you are describing and no one could tell me what it was. I one day thought maybe it was because I was grinding my teeth a lot and got botox for bruxism. This was the first time I felt relief. But only for a week I went back a few more times to get more but it only lasted a couple of weeks and it was getting expensive. I also had a nasty reaction to the botox one time where I was really ill for 2-3 weeks. It changed my face shape where it looked much longer because the muscles decreased. I then read an article on how botox for bruxism can eat away at your jaw bone and rot your teeth so I then decided never to get it again. I used to be on ssri antidepressants which I am never going near again. I also take ppi indigestion tablets which affect my jaw moving subconsciously, I don't take them every day though just when I really need them. When I catch myself moving my jaw I have to concentrate on stopping myself because it has become a subconscious habit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.