Chronic upper back pain after endoscopy and both legs feel tingling

Posted , 3 users are following.

37 yr male, had an endoscopy on 02/23/2018. I was put to sleep under anesthesia. I was place on my left side during the procedure with oxygen. The next day, 02/23/2018 around 10pm. I started to feel a chronic back upper back pain 2-3” inches below my shoulder blades. The pain was going up to my neck and back of my head. I felt the back of the pain nbuming my brain. I couldn’t take it my heart was going up at a resting rate of 114 the lowest 103.  I took 2  tramadol HCL 50mg prescribe by the GI. Woke up at 6:30am dizzy! I vomited around 8:30am clear fluid and the taste was bitter. Went to the ER they did an EKG due to spike heart rate and protein heart test. Both were good. I was discharged with NO help! Went again and 2/26/2017 they just did an X Ray said the king were clear an air waves were good. Went to see my regular doc, I complained about chronic back pain, she gave me a muscles relaxer drop-Medeol 40mg 2-3-4 he went by no help! Tylenol 62mg no help! My heart rate is spiking above 114  normal heart for me 89-99. I feel both of my plantar feet tingling and legs feel heavy like a nbuming feeling a long with a back sharp pain hand on hand. I am worried I was exposed to a virus called CRE after endoscopy. The ER MD said white blood cell count was normal the before. She pulled my medical record and new immediately I was there. She said there was no need to repeat a blood test CBC. She just order a x Ray and wanted a CT can. I refused to get CT scan too much radiation equivalent to 100-200 x rays. Why did I experience upper pain traveling up to my brain with a nbuming feeling the day after. I still have active back pain and legs are feeling a little heavy and a little nbuming causing my heart rate to spike above 114. Wha could this be? Please help me rolleyes

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi David,

Are you quite sure you had a general anaesthetic? This is very rare for an endoscopy. I think it's far more likely that you had so-called procedural sedation. The way to tell the difference is how long you had to stay in the hospital afterwards. Patients normally leave after an hour or so following sedation, but are required to stay at least six hours - and usually overnight - after a GA.

The distinction is actually important. For reasons I won't go into here, patients quite often suffer pain for a week or so after having an endoscopy under sedation, as opposed to throat spray or a GA. (I'm a former nurse btw.)

If you've had tests done and they're all OK, I wouldn't worry about your symptoms - alarming as they might seem. Give yourself a few more days, and everything will settle down. This, of course, is on the assumption that you had sedation, and not a full GA. If it's the latter, you might want to explore this further with your doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.