Chronic urinary retention

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this symptom for over 5 years, and it has been slowly deteriorating; when I urinate, I cannot expel all the urine out. The last portion of it does not come out at the end and I can't quite squeeze it out. Certain movements, like squatting several times or stretching legs, seem to help to a degree to squeeze out what's left, and I somehow get most of it out but it takes time. I do not feel pain urinating, nor do I have trouble starting. In fact, from the start to halfway through the urination, I think things are basically the same before all this started, but the end of it is the problem. I get a very uncomfortable sensation that liquid is left (and indeed it is) somewhere inside every time.

Another thing related to the symptom is that as I have grown more sensitive to the cold over the years, it has also become significantly more difficult to hold urine (for a long time) when it is cold. When it's very cold, the urge starts to build up almost shortly after urination. This might not be all that rare, but in my case, the difference between when it is cold and not is too huge. My intuition is that the muscle that holds the urine and squeezes it out near the end of urination has weakened considerably for some reason. And its function gets limited even more so when it is cold. But I can't think of any particular reason why this happened.

Recently I noticed while I'm running downhill that every time my foot lands on the ground and the area around the pelvic floor gets jolted, I get the same sensation that I get just before the urine starts flowing down, and at one point I got worried running downhill might cause the leak. This seems to support my intuition that somehow muscle that functions as the "valve" has become weakened.

I haven't found any clues from my medical history; I am a 39-year-old male. I am thin, have low body fat, and have relatively low blood pressure, but do not have any known illness. My family is somewhat susceptible to type 2 diabetes but my blood sugar level checked at yearly screening is normal. I do have RBBB, but I highly doubt this is relevant.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Have you had your prostate gland checked? This is often the cause of male difficulty in passing urine.. If this condition is slowly deteriorating as you say, then at some point you will need to see your doctor or a urologist. Its really up to you to decide at which point you cant cope with it any more. Dont worry, I am not suggesting cancer in any way. If you find that you cant pass any urine in the space of 9-10 hours then that is an emergency and you need to see immediate help.

• Posted

Practice holding your pee, this exercise will strengthen your bladder and prostate. Over time it gets better, how far you have to go depends on how bad the problem is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.