Chronic Urine Retention - male - late 30s PVR > 400ml after 6 months :(

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been doing CIC for 6 months. Usually 5x per day with the coloplast speedicath, doing what apparently is known here as the jimjames dive bomber technique. I probably read about it months ago and didn't remember where, but thanks Jim!

Complained to GP about mild LUTS. Ultrasound showed some mild hydronephrosis. When I had a cystoscopy done, the doctor kept asking me if my bladder felt full/uncomfortable and it never did. She says she drained 1.5 liters at the end and set me up with a CIC nurse appointment. Didn't find any stricture and said my prostate was nothing to write home about. Said perhaps my bladder neck was tight and prescribed flomax.. didn't really understand reason for neurogenic bladder though.

The first CIC session I voided 800ml.

PVR since then is usually 300-400ml. If I really relax and apply some pressure, sometimes i can have a pvr of 200ml, but i don't want to hurt myself or damage ureters/kidneys.

Have a follow up with urology soon, and am on waiting list for urodynamic testing, but I think my bladder is very enlarged. in the last 3 months there have been a few times when I woke up and squeezed out 900-1000ml followed cathing out another 300ml PVR. This makes me think my bladder is done for.. and seems much larger than what many are experiencing.

I'm wondering if getting off flomax and trying to do some "off" catheter days would be good or bad for me.

Trying to not be too down about it. Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with whomever.

-ed

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.