Chronic urticaria

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my story.

I'm a 35 year old male and ive been suffering with urticaria for 3 years. It tends to go into remission in the winter but comes back with a vengeance when the weather warms up.

The first 2 years it was mostly controllable with fexofenadine and occasional prednisolerone (think that's how you spell it), but this year it is out of control to the point it put me in hospital 2 weeks ago with a tight chest, swelling throat, face, hands and feet. I now have to carry around 2 epi pens.

Previously my doctor didn't want to know and had me taking 4x the reccomended dose of fexofenadine saying "no-one has ever died overdosing on antihistsmines".

Last year I paid for an intolerance test which indicated wheat and dairy along with a few other things. I have since removed them from my diet and my condition improved massively until 2 months ago. I'm now taking 4 piriton a day, 2 ranitidine, 2 fexofenadine and 30mg prednisolerone and it still isn't under control. The doctor is reluctant to give me more of the steroids but at the moment these are the only things that give me somewhat of a normal life. I have been refered for allergy testing but don't hold any hope of them finding anything. 9ne thing I will add is I've been on esomeorazole for acid reflux for 15 years and I do believe these are the cause of my issues. They work by stopping you producing acid but in doing this you do not break down your food properly so you don't absorb vitamins and minerals. Also new research indicates that because you don't break down proteins properly your body's immune system reacts to these proteins and can cause an allergic response. So I am currently trying to wean off these.

Also I read on here about Epsom salts and I'd say they are definitely worth a try. I have just tried them for the first time and I'd say they have reduced my rash and itching by at least 50%!!!. Thank you for reading and thank you everyone for all the advise in this forum

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I saw quite a few similarities with your case and myself. I have had Urticaria since 2013 and have had nights when my sheets were covered in blood through scratching in my sleep.One cream the doctor prescribed made me so ill I hardly knew where I was. terrible reaction. I was finally put on high doses of fexofenadine and ranitidine by a dermatologist which helped a little.

I only really turned the corner when I moisturised heavily every day with Aveeno. All the creams and lotions recommended simply inflamed it more.

I avoided wheat and dairy, preservatives, colourings, tomatoes and most other red fruit and veg. Only wearing pure cotton, avoiding alcohol and most sweet stuff and showering with Sanex 24 hour moisturising gel..

If I slip up it returns but, apart from a restricted wardrobe and trying to keep to a natural diet, I have had a reasonably normal life for the past year now and gradually reduced the fexofenadine so that I do not feel I am in Zombieland all the time. A bit awkward when you're trying to run a pub.

I am sure the cause in the first place is stress which damages your immune system, then drugs and steroids all have their side effect which can confuse your body's normal allergic reaction.

Good luck with finding whatever is your cause and just try and eat as natural as you possibly can

• Posted

I completely agree with you about stress being a major aspect of urticaria. I have noticed that when I'm under a lot of stress I have worse flare ups...

Here's to a stress free life....Lol smile

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I also agree that Stress is a major cause of Urticaria!  The three times I have gotten the Urticaria it was after a stressful time in my life...losing parents etc.  each time the Urticaria lasted 2 years then gone for a decade.  This time I have had the hives since July 2015 but down to 1mg Prednisone and 2 Fexofinadine.  Next week I will try to go down to everyother day with the 1mg Prednisone.  You have to go down super slow 1mg at a time for a couple of weeks before going down again so your body can adapt to the change.  I am hoping to just be on the Fexofinadine.....praying.  Quercetin Is also good I need to take that again especially now going off the Prednisone.  L-glutamine for the gut is also good as is probiotics.

We are all in this together....I wish you all well and to be hive free!!

thank you all for sharing! keep posting!

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.