Chronic urticaria after running for half hour

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having chronic urticaria after running for half hour. This issue started off small around 3 years ago and now it seems to have peaked. Just today despite taking 25 mg Benadryl, I had hives on my shoulder and neck and also my face/lips/eyes were swollen. The eyes were red. After 3 hours all these have subsided 60%. Saw two doctors. The first said I should take a cold shower immediately afterwards. But then who would want to take a shower after 10 minutes of running. The second doctor had no clue.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I suggest try some anti allergic medicines if not done already. I had also started Urticaria long time back during my young days; was very bothersome with swollen eyes/ itching etc. However I got rid of it by using various ordinary cheap anti allergic medicines. Ultimately one worked  well and i got rid of it after more than a year.
    • Posted

Thanks very much for the information.

Would you recall the name of the one medicine that worked for you?

• Posted

Sorry, I was hardly 25 yrs of age at that time actively serving in our Army then. Many many yrs have passed since then. But I do remember it was a syrup which made the difference as soon as I started and then eventually urticaria got finished. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

I had earlier totally forgotten its name. Probably it was Benadryl Syrup though still I may be mistaken to recollect proper name. Good luck.
  • Posted

was given ibuprofen to relieve me of cramps after child birth and other post natal drug. I was given a month supply with I used judiciously for up to a month. One day I woke up to see some redness on my skin and it was itching. It later spread to other part of my body my ankles and arms. It continued for up to a month before I realized it was hives. On that faithful day I was about using the ibuprofen and the other drugs. I took my instructions book and read and I discovered that I have overused the drugs and I might be suffering of hives. I immediately called Called my health care provider and she has me to stop using the drugs, that the hives will go. I waited for the hives to go buy to no avail. I Google about hives and the cure for it. I realized there was no real cure. It was a 50/50 chances even with drugs. I tried benadryl which help a bit but the hives persisted. I also used piriton which help dry up the hives but it kept coming back.

One day, I sat down to think about my life and was scared it could be life threatening for me. And then I remembered the creator of the universe. The one who create the blood and water, the one who formed us in his own image, the king of all kings, the alpha and omega, the one that knows the beginning from the end. And so the spoke with my creator to take away this hives and asked for forgiveness of sin. I prayed into water that he should turn the water to the blood of Jesus and I drank it with faith. I did that for two to three days and so my healing began. Like joke the itching reduced, redness and swollen reduced gradually and here I got healed permanently.

I got healed I thank God. For you to enjoy the benefits of healing. You have got to re- trace your step to the maker. Jesus Christ. He alone can heal completely because he is the creator. I beg you that is reading my story. Kindly accept Jesus as your lord and Savour. This are end times. All sought of things are happening everywhere. Making heaven is imperative so as not to go to hell. Everything the Bible talked about the end time are happening.

Jesus loves you and came to die just that you and I may be saved and inherent eternal life. A simple prayer as lord Jesus I know I am a sinner, by your mercy kindly forgive me, I accept you as my lord and Savour with my heart and my mouth I confess you are lord over my life.

It that simple. God bless you as you make the right decision today.

• Posted

was given ibuprofen to relieve me of cramps after child birth and other post natal drug. I was given a month supply with I used judiciously for up to a month. One day I woke up to see some redness on my skin and it was itching. It later spread to other part of my body my ankles and arms. It continued for up to a month before I realized it was hives. On that faithful day I was about using the ibuprofen and the other drugs. I took my instructions book and read and I discovered that I have overused the drugs and I might be suffering of hives. I immediately called Called my health care provider and she has me to stop using the drugs, that the hives will go. I waited for the hives to go buy to no avail. I Google about hives and the cure for it. I realized there was no real cure. It was a 50/50 chances even with drugs. I tried benadryl which help a bit but the hives persisted. I also used piriton which help dry up the hives but it kept coming back.

One day, I sat down to think about my life and was scared it could be life threatening for me. And then I remembered the creator of the universe. The one who create the blood and water, the one who formed us in his own image, the king of all kings, the alpha and omega, the one that knows the beginning from the end. And so the spoke with my creator to take away this hives and asked for forgiveness of sin. I prayed into water that he should turn the water to the blood of Jesus and I drank it with faith. I did that for two to three days and so my healing began. Like joke the itching reduced, redness and swollen reduced gradually and here I got healed permanently.

I got healed I thank God. For you to enjoy the benefits of healing. You have got to re- trace your step to the maker. Jesus Christ. He alone can heal completely because he is the creator. I beg you that is reading my story. Kindly accept Jesus as your lord and Savour. This are end times. All sought of things are happening everywhere. Making heaven is imperative so as not to go to hell. Everything the Bible talked about the end time are happening.

Jesus loves you and came to die just that you and I may be saved and inherent eternal life. A simple prayer as lord Jesus I know I am a sinner, by your mercy kindly forgive me, I accept you as my lord and Savour with my heart and my mouth I confess you are lord over my life.

It that simple. God bless you as you make the right decision today.

• Posted

So, afterwards I started taking 10mg loratidine tablet 2 hours before running and the urticaria only popped up a little bit after the running was done and over. However, over the past month or so, I have started eating a green chilly, one a day, in salad. And without taking loratidine, I was able to complete my runs (40 minutes) on a treadmill with no urticaria.

In India, green chillies are well known for its medicinal properties. Try it and see - although it is extremely hot. But with salad (tomatoes, onions, green peppers) should not be an issue.

• Posted

Sorry-that was a premature celebration. The hives came back with a bang after a week. And am back to loratidine 10mg - 2 hours before the run. Sigh!
    • Posted

Hi Thomas,

My hives started out like that when I was out walking and running. In the end, it was diagnosed as Cold Urticaria. But equally, if you are getting hot, it could be Cholinergic Urticaria. For some people, it's just exercise that triggers it. The rapid cooling down after can trigger cold contact urticaria too. I know some asthmatics that get attacks just after cooling down after exercise. If that's the case, try staying warm and cooling down gently (warm down stretches, immediate hot shower, rapid change into warm clothes).

Do you sweat a lot when running? If so, sweating a lot can cause magnesium deficiency, which itself can cause vitamin D deficiency. Caffeine and alcohol can make magnesium deficiency worse too.

For your immune system, immunologist / dieticians recommend taking Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, Vitamin B complex and Vitamin E.

Also, you could try a strict Paleo diet with no alcohol or sugar and minimal caffeine for a couple of months and see if that helps. That helped sort my stomach out, which helped my hives a lot and made me feel better and stronger generally.

Getting more rest and sleep helped too, as did yoga and especially meditation. I ended switching from running middle distance to Pilates Yoga, Tai Chi and Karate in the end because running or swimming in cold air or water just aggravated my hives.

Best of luck to you. My hives seem to be in remission now with changes to diet, sleep and stress reduction and also the passage of time. 

If loratidine helps, fexofenadine might help even more too, though I'm skeptical of most medicine's for this condition. Many of the medicines just made me worse.

• Posted

Hi Desmond,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I do sweat a lot when running. However, I have noticed that while running on a treadmill if I keep applying cold swabs say every 2 minutes on my face, the urticaria on the face is much less severe. And in my case, the urticaria has been mostly head shoulders neck and sometimes hands.

I have been taking green tea everyday for the past 3 years. I plan to stop that for a while and see if there is any impact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.