chronic uti

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am on my fifth uti since March of this year.  Seems like I get over one and in a few weeks I have another.  The problem is I am allergic or sensitive to many antibiotics.  I am ok on augmentin but the docs say that i cannot continue with that.  My recent uti came back with aug. as s8, which means aug. should work.  However this is the third day and I feel like I still have it. Seems like I have always felt better after a day.  If the test says it is suseptible to the antibiotic, shouldn't it go away? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorrysad

If this is the same antibiotic, it won't work as well and I know the feeling.  It's happened to me too!  Augmentin made me feel sick the first three days, then tapered down.  I felt it coming on as soon as I finished.  And I took another antibiotic prior to that but the infection came back even before I finished the 10 day prescription!

I have had close to 8 uti since January!  I just don't get why some women are so bothered with this dreadful condition!?

Do you?  I eat healthy, clean lifestyle and body, not overweight and yet it's a constant problem.

• Posted

Are you on a prophylactic to prevent further UTIs?
  • Posted

No I am using dmannose and see the urologist in a few days.  I don't have much faith in antibiotics for helping my problem.  Yes they have rid me of acute symptoms, but never really provide a cure.  I am wondering if there really is a cure?  And why some women are susceptible and others not?  My doctor said it was hereditary but I don't believe that.  Never heard of it until I had issues..

• Posted

I just started d-mannose myself. I have heard a lot of good things about it but both urologist say it is useless. There is a reason why so many people swear by though.  This is a very depressing condition.  My mother had UTIs in her 80s but never did before that.   I have  had every test, and we finally decided that one UTI had triggered a change in my bladder which makes it susceptible. Their answer is to put me on prophylactics for a while as soon as this one is cleared up
    • Posted

I believe that after many infections, the bladder definitely is more susceptible.  I was also told this by a urologist.  Dmannose didn't get rid of an infection and it's more of a maintenance, but no guarantee.  But then neither are antibioticssad Two years ago while I was on antibiotics for a week I had blood in my urine prompting me an emergency room visit!  This is why I have mixed feelings about antibiotics for uti.  

My mother was disabled and unable to care for herself and in a facility where she got her first bladder infection at age 90!

She just passed at age 91 after being hospitalized for uti with an IV of antibioticssad

I want to travel but fear getting sick with bladder infection.

I recently drove with my son to the beach 150 miles and had to immediately return due to burning bladder from the methenamine hippurite pills from the urologist.  I still prefer dmannose but it's not a for sure either.  It kept me clear for five months and no pain.  Urologists don't like herbal remedies as it takes their business away..

Best of luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.